Canyon Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BrentonBalla

BrentonBalla - Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm Date Climbed: Jan 4, 2012

A great new year!

My buddies Wally and Jake accompanied me on an extremly difficult winter climb just a few days after new year. We had planned the trip for sometime, and had always wanted to do it in the middle of winter. It is a hard climb in summer and as you can imagine the snow was very deep. The last quarter mile or so the snow was up to my waist. Unfortunatly we could only make it to the top of the western most peak and not the highest middle one.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 9, 2009 3:07 pm Date Climbed: Sep 7, 2009

Last Day of Summer (sort of)  Sucess!

With my buddy Jim. I should probably write a trip report about how we got home from this one. Beautiful day though, great way to spend the last rays of summer. Long drive but excellent hike. Fun off trail stuff and who knew about this granite in Oregon?!?! Great summit although it really needs a new summit register. There are notes from 1975 in there. Hope the photos turn out.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Jul 4, 2006 6:58 am Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2006

Dayhike up the east ridge  Sucess!

I'm going to have to say this is the most difficult of the Strawberry Mountains I have hiked. I bushwhacked my way up the east ridge just before the trail drops into Dean Creek and hit the summit ridge where things were a little dicey with giant cliffs to both the east and west. The ridgeline has some exposure but is a lot of fun to explore, Also enjoyed the summit register, hard to believe so many people have been on the summit with the long unmaintained approach.

cmc56789

cmc56789 - Jun 29, 2006 8:51 am Date Climbed: Jun 23, 2006

Overnight at Dean Creek  Sucess!

After driving from Portland with stops at the Thomas Condon Paleontology Center, Moore Mountain and Dairy Queen, I hiked in to Dean Creek and set up camp just after the sun set. One of the best night's sleep I have had in a long time. Got up the next day and tackled the Green Mountain Route I had seen in Barbara Bond's book on a hot sunny day. Had excellent views of all the surrounding mountains, except to the southeast where a forest fire blocked the view. The Summit register was pretty fun to check out. Lots of history. Returned to the trail via Dean Creek, and was surprised at how much shorterand easier it was. Hiked back to the trailhead and made the long drive back to Portland.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Canyon Mountain' main page