Carter Creek Falls to MST

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.70590°N / 82.3668°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up w/bushwhack
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Take NC 197 to Barnardsville, NC & turn south at the post office. Stay on this road until you reach Dillingham. Follow left fork in Dillingham to big Ivy Campground after wich the pavement will end. Follow unpaved raid for about nine miles to Craggy Mountains Scenic Area. Trailhead is at the end of the car park.

Route Description

Follow the trail .05 mile to Cater Creek Falls. Continue past the falls on the main trail which treks along the left side of the falls. Once you are past the falls begin looking for a trail to the right. Follow this trail for about 3 miles to the Mountains to Sea trail. Go east on the MST for 1.5 miles. Cross the Blue Ridge Parkway. You will be facing the heath bald that is Craggy Dome (you will see a sign in the parking area that points to the peak). Once you cross the parkway start bushwhacking up to the summit. This bushwhack is extremely difficult. The hiker will find her/himself negotiating extremely dense thickets of rhododendron, mountain laurel and blackberry bushes. Due to the unpopularity of this southern sixer with those outside of the “peak-bagging” community, you will almost assuredly find yourself alone on top of this exciting mountain.

Essential Gear

Basing hiking gear>longer sleeves and pants for the shwack up the heath bald.

GO LITE

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.