Cefn Croes

Cefn Croes

The Cefn Croes Windfarm The Cefn Croes Powerstation is located in the northwestern part of the Cambrian Mountains just south of Pumlumon. The development of windfarms is probably the greatest single threat facing the range's landscape and natural beauty (March 2007).
Nanuls
on Aug 13, 2007 8:09 am
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 323011

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Aug 13, 2007 8:31 am - Hasn't voted

Yes,

and worse even is that organizations that used to fight the construction of power pylons in beautiful scenery now are all for spoiling it with windmills, that are much more noisy and irritating with their constant movement. Even France that could just as effectively simply build another nuclear power station is beginning to spoil beautiful places in Provence this way.

Nanuls

Nanuls - Aug 13, 2007 9:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yes,

It's all pretty depressing. The trouble is that the drive to build them is lead by capitalism and politics and not environmentalism.

I actually work for the planning authority who authorised this development (although I didn't work for them at the time of this application), and as officers we recommended that the application be refused on the grounds that it would have an unacceptably detrimental affect on the local environment. Unfortunately permission was granted by the Council Members (those people democratically elected to represent the population of the county), for reasons that have nothing to do with the environment. They believed that it would be economically beneficial for the area, and that this was the best way to create economic regeneration. In reality the development only benefits maybe one or two locals (call me cynical but I believe the applicant would have been one of the members friends), and the company that owns the site (a German company). The 4 new jobs that were created to maintain the powerstation are based over 50 miles away in England.

Thus the benefit to the local community is absolutely miniscule, and in effect probably counter-productive as the development of windfarms doesn't exactly encourage tourism (the areas single most important industry).

Things are only set to get worse as in 2005 the Welsh Assembly Government released targets for renewable energy production, most of which will be met through windpower.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2