Cerro Tres Cruces Sur Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
monkeypike

monkeypike - Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am Date Climbed: Jan 9, 2014

Tres Cruces by Bike  Sucess!

We approached the peak from Paso San Franscisco by bicycle to 4400m from where we walked to a waterless base camp at 4700m. At 5200m the jeep tracks ended and there was a large pentitente field and a stream which would make an excellent camp. We placed our high camp on the col at 5950m where there are a few lakes, one of which we drank from. There was quite a lot of snow on the climb which made the going quite slow particularly across the boulder field between the col and the summit. We climbed by the normal route and reached the summit in 5 1/2 hours.

On the "summit" there is a leki pole and apparently under all that snow is a Banco de Chile box however 200m to the NE we believe there is an ever so slightly higher "summit".

Guillaume.Ceyrac

Guillaume.Ceyrac - Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm Date Climbed: Jan 9, 2013

Hard  Sucess!

It took me a bit more than 7 hours to get to the summit from the high camp (5950m) during my solo expedition "3 Cruces, 3 cumbres", on the classic normal route located on chilean side. The last 350m are a tough ascent through very big and unstable rocks. Finding "the gate" (6626m, S 27°05.824' W 068°46.871)is not that difficult on the way up but it is quite tricky while going back down. The day before, I was climbing Tres Cruces Central and two days later, Tres Cruces Norte. Beautiful and remote place. On this summit, I found (in the Banco de Chile box) few climber's log, and among them, the only person who apparently also climbed the three summits is Corax.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Cerro Tres Cruces Sur' main page