Chalets de Loriaz - Col de la Terrasse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 69.00000°N / 6.50000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To Chalets de Loriaz : two possibilities

1) From Emosson
Barrage d'Emosson can be reached by car, or by funicular from Le Chatelard (French-Swiss border) over Finhaut.
To reach Le Chatelard :
- from France over Chamonix, Col des Montets and Vallorcine (N 506)
- from Switzerland over Martigny, Col de la Forclaz, Trient.
- by train from Chamonix and from Martigny.
Park at Col de la Gueulaz (1960 m) near the dam.

Cross the dam. Just after, at Col du Passet (1920 m), take the path on the left. This traverse to the Chalets de Loriaz provides fatastic views on the Aiguille Verte and the Mont-Blanc. This balcony route crosses the base of the Grand perron. An iron ramp helps to cross the "Bear comb". The Loriaz pasture is reached in 1,5 hours. The old stone mews (hut in summer) are built one against the other form a picturesque scene.

2) From Vallorcine
Vallorcine is on the road and on the railway between Chamonix and Martigny
Park near la Scierie. Follow the little road to Le Crot
Follow the marked path to La Loriaz (2,5 hours)


Route Description


From La Loriaz climb to the Col de la Terrasse (2648 m) in western direction.
The last part is steep with usually a large snowfield below.
From the collar, you reach quickly the Lac Vert near of the Col des Corbeaux.
After a 100 m descent, you reach the normal route coming from Emosson which you follow to the summit.


Essential Gear


Telescopic sticks

Hut


Chalet de la Loriaz
Tél. 04.50.54.06.45 (hut)
Adress : Mme Dominique Ancey / Refuge de Loriaz - Le Sizeray -- 74660 - Vallorcine - Tél. 04.50.54.60.86 or 04.50.54.60.71
Email : loriaz@libertysurf.fr