Cloud Peak Ski, June 23 2013

Cloud Peak Ski, June 23 2013

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 26.74845°S / 104.06625°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

June 2013 saw the completion of a long time goal- skiing Cloud Peak, the highest point in the Bighorn Range, and the 3rd highest point in Wyoming. I made several failed attempts earlier in the season. Approach to Cloud Peak requires either a long ski approach, probably before mid-May, or a long hike approach after most of the snow has melted, after mid-June. I found the best approach to be the Battle Park route, assuming you went in late enough to be able to drive on the road in. I made camp at the standard summer base camp at the toe of the southwest ridge. From there, I was able to skin most of the way to the summit, although I chose to boot up most of the lower approach. From the summit, I skied the south couloir which drops onto the saddle between Cloud Peak and Bomber Mountain. This is a beautiful line that requires no climbing gear to access, although in hard conditions descending with a whippet or ice axe might be prudent. The top pitch is approximately 45 degrees, rolling into a long sustained 35 degree slope to the saddle below. There is a pinch about 2/3 of the way down the line. When I skied it, there was old avy debris and deep runnels through this pinch, but if you hit the conditions right it wouldn't even slow you down. I skied the line too early in the morning, if I had waited longer on the cold summit the south couloir would have been warmed rapidly in the sun. As usual with summer skiing, timing is key for the best snow conditions. After skiing the line, one can easily ski tour along the lake chain south of Cloud Peak back to base camp. There are several other skiable lines off Cloud Peak- two on the east face have considerably more exposure then the south couloir. Several lines off the west face drop into Wilderness Basin, and look like great candidates for my next visit to the area.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits - Oct 2, 2015 9:38 pm - Hasn't voted

3rd highest?

There are 19 peaks in WY that are taller than Cloud.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.