Viewing: 1-1 of 1
runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 2, 2022 8:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Updated Easiest Route to the Summit

FYI there is a fairly good trail that leaves from the "Chapel in the Hills" parking lot a bit further up Coal Creek Canyon. It is 2.1 miles to the summit. The starting elevation is approximately 7,565 feet. The trail is small, but there has been some work done on it, and there are cross markings on the rocks to keep you on track. There is a rock cairn and lookout with good views of the Continental Divide 2/3 of a mile and 700 feet up. From here the trail is clear and continues another 1/3 of a mile up to a saddle just above 8500 feet. This first mile is all contained with Coal Creek Canyon Park from what I can tell/see/read on maps.
After this the trail gradually becomes less clear as you climb a ridge and skirt around the right (south) flanks of a false summit, before a fun ridge hike and scramble combo for 1/2 mile to the summit. Good views of all of the Front Range 14ers and the Continental Divide from the top!
Full stats: 4.2 Miles, 2,116 feet climbed (1700ish up, 400ish back)
Took me 1 hour from car to summit, and 37 minutes down with a combination of power hiking, easy running, and scrambling.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Crescent Mountain, Jefferson County, Colorado' main page