Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Klenke

Klenke - Aug 1, 2006 7:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Procrastination...

I need to make the WA 2kP list page on SP but I'm a slacker because I know how long it took me to do the table for the Top 100 page. But Bob sent me an Excel spreadsheet I can use to simplify the process.

I'm now at 131 of 144. Only 13 more to go!

Dean

Dean - Aug 1, 2006 7:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

131 is outstanding. I'm only 105 behind you. A P2K list would be a great addition but a lot of work. What do you know about McDonald below I-90?

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 1, 2006 8:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

McDonald is a long bike ride (7 miles, I think) but otherwise not difficult other than possible wrong-turn route-finding issues on the logging roads. I started here and pushed my bike up the switchbacking road. The summit is to the SE. Once you get high enough the road flattens out and you can ride more. Walking the road (sans bike) would be a drag. You can also use the powerline road to get north of the summit then take roads from there (or come down that way to make it a loop trip). Note the summit is here (3570F) not where it says "McDonald Mtn" on the map.

Dean

Dean - Aug 1, 2006 8:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

I had a guy telling me that you couldn't go in there due to watershed issues but I thought it was out of the watershed.
Thanks for the info.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 1, 2006 8:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

The powerline route is where the watershed issue comes into play. The route up that I described is not in the watershed (not really, anyway, and a bicycle does waaaay less damage to the eco-system than all that logging equipment). This is where the two routes described come together. On the way back I took the north route back to the powerlines. I do remember encountering a gate or sign down the road a bit that warned of the watershed. Yet when I got to near the town of Kangley I passed someone walking their dog along the powerlines. Going down the powerlines way (for a loop) has the added advantage of avoiding a little bit of uphill on the way back. Basically, there's nothing to worry about if you go up the way I did.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Aug 1, 2006 8:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

Which 13 do you have left Paul?

Dunno if it would be of any help but I'd be happy to send you an excel file that I already have which has Peak, Elev, Prom, Lat, Lon, and Quad data already filled in if you like. Should be able to export to HTML with a bit of tweaking. Or if you need to fill in a few pics I might have some as well depending on the peak, even for some of the peaks which are quite ugly.

Klenke

Klenke - Aug 2, 2006 4:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Procrastination...

Left to do (in no particular order):
Constitution, American Border, Blum, Bacon, Castle, Three Fools, "Daemon", Misch, Martin, Three Fingers, Gunn, Big Chiwaukum, Rainier.

My completion map can be viewed here.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Sep 9, 2006 2:48 am - Voted 10/10

NW Forest Pass

Dean there is actually signage indicating that a Forest Pass is required so you may wish to correct that on the page. On that side of the pass it is Wenatchee NF land where you are parking. You may wish to note, this is only for the largest parking lot on the N side with the toilets. If a person parked at one of the pullouts on the South side of the pass there is no signage and no pass requirement. This is because under the new 2005 law they can only require the FS pass when there are trailhead improvements, ie toilets.

Dean

Dean - Sep 9, 2006 4:12 am - Voted 10/10

Re: NW Forest Pass

That is good to know. When I was there, I looked for an indication that a NW FS pass was required and saw no signage. Perhaps they have added that since my visit. How'd your hike go?

ericnoel

ericnoel - Sep 9, 2006 5:38 am - Voted 10/10

Re: NW Forest Pass

There are a couple of different signboards but one was dedicated to nothing but forest pass blabbering. It may be new, they are changing all that stuff around this year due to the changes in the laws.

Hike was pretty uneventful aside from a sunburn and the fact that it was once again reinforced how fat and out of shape I am. The sidehilling traverse seemed to take forever.

I now have a home prominence glob since Crystal Mtn is my home P2000. In fact, it now has a bountiful seven full peaks [Crystal-Silver-Rattlesnake-Pilchuck-Mission-Indian Rock-Oregon Butte] in bright yellow as my home prominence glob. Guess I won't be displacing John Vitz or Bob Packard anytime soon. If I do Aneroid my glob will extend into OR. If I do Bald Mtn it will connect to Idaho and those NE WA peaks. Of course that's not surprising since Bald Mtn ID takes up like a third of the state of WA. Anyway, it's something at least and improves the look of my P2000 map slightly which is good given the time I've put in on those.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Crystal Mountain (WA)' main page