Davis Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Klenke

Klenke - Jul 23, 2007 7:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Oh highest point, where art thou?

Hey Dean,
Note the following:
There are two summits at equal height for Davis Peak. They are separated by a deep notch.
This is the north summit (6,480+ ft). And this is the south summit. The two summits are clearly visible in this photo.

The point labeled 6490T to the immediate west of the south summit is most definitely lower than the south summit. The surveyors made an error here. Either they got the 6490 height wrong (too high) or the south summit point 6440+ got denied a contour (the 6480+ contour).

But I guess if you wanted to be strict with name placements, the "real" Davis Peak is where it's labeled on the map, i.e., at the old lookout site Pt. 6426 and the prominence-holding highpoints to its west are then merely something else. Bette Peaks? Jefferson Peaks? Gina Peaks? Miles Peaks?

Dean

Dean - Jul 23, 2007 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Oh highest point, where art thou?

Now you tell me. : ) It seemed that we were on the highest spot
when we there but then we didn't pay much attention to what was across the notch. Surveyors could be wrong? We need to pay those guys more. Thanks for the input, it is interesting. But we still have to go back to get Goat : (

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Oh highest point, where art thou?

FYI- I just updated this page. Let me know if you think I should add anything else.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 23, 2007 11:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Highpoint

My feeling on this is that:

1)The map name is clearly located so as to refer to the un-prominent LO summit at the east end of the ridge.
2)This makes whatever is the HP some unnamed summit. I like Miles best out of Klenke's suggestions.
3)We were on the 6440+ south summit. There is no doubt this was higher than anything in the direction of that 6490T spot. I would guess that there is a contour missing there given how much we had risen from the 6426 spot.
4)I wish I could tell you that the south summit was higher than the north summit but I have no idea. I was more interested in looking at the routes over to Goat.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Jul 24, 2007 1:30 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Highpoint

I'm with you Eric. Davis Peak is the named point to the east. Whatever else we did was just for the views. When zooming in with Topo! I think I see another contour at the "south summit", but it's not a slam dunk that the "north summit" is higher, based on this photo.



Click on the photo for a more thorough discussion of what this photo may be indicating about this issue.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 16, 2016 1:21 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Highpoint

FYI- I just updated this page. Let me know if you think I should add anything else. I tried to cover the basics on the various high point without getting too mired down in debate.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Davis Peak' main page