Viewing: 1-6 of 6
dwhike

dwhike - Aug 27, 2006 2:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow...

I've been looking at doing the Smokies Traverse for a while now but always as a like 5-day trip! Nice report, my knees hurt just reading it though:)

e-doc

e-doc - Aug 28, 2006 1:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow...

Its a great hike. The AT is so different on each side of Newfound Gap. I prefer the eastern end, not the constant up and down. Even in summer you really won't see alot of people except around the Dome, Newfound, the AT up to Icewater and Bunion. The masses just don't get into the backcountry. Five days is good time for the distance. I've talked to some people who got creamed by snow on the ridgeline in the winter. One guy took all day to get from Pecks to Tri-Corner, postholing the entire way. Getting dumped on at Tri-Corner would be tough.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Apr 30, 2007 8:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Damn.

On my first long-distance backpacking trip in the Smokies, we covered really short mileages on some days. For instance, one night we stayed at Tri-Corner Knob Shelter, and the following night we stayed at Peck's Corner. And the next night after that was Ice Water Springs Shelter. I recall that we had to rig it that way due to the reservation system the park had in those days (early 70s).

e-doc

e-doc - Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Damn.

Nothing wrong with that. More time to see side trails and relax. Head out to Leconte or Balsam Mt trail.

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - May 21, 2007 1:16 pm - Voted 10/10

No common sense...

It sounds like Scott and I should go hiking sometime!

e-doc

e-doc - Oct 19, 2007 3:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No common sense...

you are truly sick, though thats what he says about me!!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to ' Death March (Smokies traverse) 2001' main page