Dissolution Rock, 5.7-5.10c

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.02799°N / 116.14026°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Life's a Bitch, Then You Marry One, 5.7*
Dow soloing Life's a Bitch, Then You Marry One, 5.7*

There are two climbing destinations/features located just north of the paved parking area for the popular Barker Dam loop hike in South Wonderland:  Hunk Rock and Dissolution Rock.  Hunk Rock is by far the largest of the two and is where I found a surprising gem trad lead in Death of a Decade, 5.10a*.  Just to the northeast of Hunk Rock is a collection of jumbled boulders on the left side of the trail that connects the paved parking with the sand parking trail head for Wonderland South.  The photo clearly shows a short face facing east with quite a bit of dark varnish which is Dissolution Rock.

Till Death Do Us Part, 5.9, is a solo or top rope up the black varnished left arete of this face.  The obvious crack just to the right of Till Death Do Us Part is Life's a Bitch, Then You Marry One, 5.7*, a secure solo at the grade for Jtree or an easy trad lead.  Just to the right of Life's a Bitch is a partial seem with several bolts named Marital Sin, 5.10c*, a thoughtful mixed climb worth doing for sure and no doubt the main attraction to this small wall.  There is a fixed rap above Marital Sin.  This face received tons of morning sun.

Park at the Barker Dam trail head paved parking area or Wonderland South sandy parking lot.  Head north on the trail from the paved trail head and look over your left shoulder for the wall that matches the photo.  A few minute scramble to the base.   

Routes Listed Left to Right as you Face the Wall

Till Death Do Us Part- 35’-5.9/ A top rope or solo route that can be top roped with creativity from Marital Sin.  If you are there to do Marital Sin, might as well do this one.  Up the arête on black varnished jugs.  Rap Marital.  Dow

Life’s a Bitch, Then you Marry One- 35’-5.7*/ A fun 5.7 hand jam, good and secure for a solo.  Rap Marital. Dow

Martial Sin- 35’-5.10c*/ A fun edge/face climb with a seam to a fixed rap.  Two pro bolts along with a few wires or small off sets.  More edges than slab with the finger crack feature helping you with a lay back if needed.  Definitely the attraction to this small wall.  Dow



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.