Dome Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 3, 2022 10:19 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2021

Another AZ High Point  Sucess!

Another visit to The Valley, and another Desert Peak scratched off the list. This pretty much completes my ascent of all the peaks on the skyline above Mesa to the Superstitions.
Hot but got a nice breeze on the summit, which was nice combined with my sweat soaked body.

@ninjahikergirl - Dec 3, 2020 7:02 pm Date Climbed: Dec 1, 2020

Dome Mountain   Sucess!

This is a relatively easy trail up until the last 200 ft. While scrambling up to the top, pieces of lava rock broke off from large formations used to gain leverage and the descent was primarily down a bunch of scree so it was slow and go for about 100 ft. There are multiple peaks you could bag over the course of a day hike as they are all within the same vicinity. Great fun!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 1, 2020 12:43 pm Date Climbed: Feb 1, 2020

With Peak 3269 (South Dome Peak)  Sucess!

Started up towards Dome Peak, but went cross-country to the ridge between it and South Dome Peak (Peak 3269). 7.5 miles round trip.

CO14erBagger - Jan 5, 2020 5:09 pm Date Climbed: Jan 5, 2020

NO Bushwhacking Required!  Sucess!

(I also put this text in the Comments section)
This is an easy Class 1 hike (with hiking poles). (Viz. NO need to bushwhack!!)
After passing through the Bulldog Canyon gate, as the main road veers left, take the signed 1356 dirt road to the right. When 1356 makes a 90-degree turn to the right (east) at what looks like a "roundabout", take the dirt road to the left (NW).
After about 1/4 mile, take the road that turns off to the right (north).
Take this road north to its highest point (~2350 ft). As the road descends, you will see the trail turn off to the right (north). (If you go to the end of the road [all downhill], you've gone too far).
This trail is marked by 2 cairns a few feet apart, one roadside cairn and some dead saguaro cactus "sticks" stuck in the ground. THIS TURN OFF IS THE CRUX OF THE ROUTE.
Take this defined hiking trail to the summit of Dome Mountain. After the trail turns left at the saddle between Dome & Peak 3134, you will see frequent white spray-paint stripes on the trail all the way to the summit.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Feb 19, 2019 7:59 pm Date Climbed: Feb 19, 2019

Not so bad!  Sucess!

After a bad start, unable to find FR1356 because I was camped past that and didn't realize it so couldn't find it, we had a nice climb. I didn't really notice any scree, we started on the left side of the gully but then crossed over to the right side and scrambled up the rocks, which was quite easy. Also did Peak 3269, the south summit. We had a longer hike, started from a pullout off FR10 near the powerlines and hiked up the wash. A full trip report and GPS track is on Peakbagger.

mstender

mstender - Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm Date Climbed: Apr 15, 2017

Nice local hike!  Sucess!

Followed Surgent's excellent route and had no problems to get to the summit. The slope was loose in parts but that section was fairly short. You are surrounded by very cool cliffs and walls. Plenty of views during the hike and great views from the top. I spooked a rattle snake sitting in the dry grass in the morning; it rattled at me.

surgent

surgent - Mar 27, 2015 1:13 am Date Climbed: Mar 8, 2015

Close to home  Sucess!

Climbed with Scott Peavy. A pleasantly challenging, enjoyable 4-hour hike. The scree can be pretty bad in spots.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Dome Mountain' main page