Double Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Nickoclimbs - Nov 22, 2023 7:14 am Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2023

Double peak to Needle basin  Sucess!

Two day trip on Double Peak using described approach from deer creek camp trailhead and Chinook creek wash. Never found a deer path, but the the described route was straightforward enough (go up). Expect a long scramble on dirt and pine needles through dense woods. After some doubt I made it to double peak basin, finally staring at tomorrow's objective. A very pleasant campsite for one. Hit the trail at 8am the next morning and was atop the main summit by 9am. Superior views of Rainier, Adams, Shriner peak and countless other surrounding summits. I did not attempt the sister summit of Double Peak. I descended north off the summit towards Needle creek basin and found fairly pleasant deer paths. I followed a series of ups and downs to the a valley above the mouth of Needle creek, just below third cowlitz chimney. This view was unlike anything I've seen in the park. Getting out of this valley and onto the Owyhigh lakes trail was the steepest dirt scramble yet, and had me wishing I'd packed lighter. I had initially planned on bagging third cowlitz, but it didn't look feasible from this approach. I also decided to come back for Tamanos because my legs were torched and I wanted a beer. This traverse out made the first day of dirt scrambling and bushwacking worthwhile and I wouldn't have done it another way!

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Nov 11, 2013 12:55 am Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2006

Glad I've done it  Sucess!

But won't be doing it again.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Double Peak' main page