Dowdell Knob Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
gabem

gabem - Mar 6, 2008 7:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Map Caveat

On the Pine Mt Trail Association's website they list several places to purchase maps for the trails. Two that I tried were Kinnucans in Columbus and REI in Atlanta. Neither had maps (they both said they hadn't seen them in a while). However, that was not an issue as there is a decent weather proof map of the trails available at the Park Office. You will be required to stop into the office for parking permits and back-country camping permits, so you won't be going out of your way. There is only 1 road that travels the ridge of Pine Mountain and the office is located on the south side of the road a few miles from the western terminus of the trail and entrance to FDR state park.

Aeldrin

Aeldrin - Mar 7, 2008 2:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Map Caveat

Good points about the maps for the area. There are a few good trail guides for Georgia (The Homan guides leap most to mind) that have decent trail maps (though not exact topo maps).

For a lot of the areas I go into now, I generally make custom maps using Topozone or the National Geographic software (whose name of the package I forget).

Good job pointing out that trail maps can be acquired from the Park Office. I'll put that on the main page.

Thanks!

kavak

kavak - Sep 16, 2009 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Highpoint Name

I am sure that it is grammatically correct to call it "Dowdell's Knob" as you have done. But when I did my search on SP for this area, I was unable to come up with a result, because I was using the USGS map name of Dowdell Knob. I am not sure if it is worth it to change the name or that you would want to. Just sayin...

Aeldrin

Aeldrin - Feb 6, 2010 10:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Highpoint Name

That is a good point. I have seen it both ways. I'll see if I can change it.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Dowdell Knob' main page