Eagle Cliff Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
morgan_slagter

morgan_slagter - Apr 8, 2020 9:55 am Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2017

Southeast Slope  Sucess!

I was with my church youth group, and our youth group leaders thought it would be a good idea to let six high school boys lead us. They took us up the SE slope, which is one of the steepest parts of the mountain and has no established trail. It didn't help that we started our hike around 4:30-5 in the morning and I had tackled a six hour hike the day before, so the climb was tougher than it should've been. Despite all that, the hike was so worth it, especially at sunrise! Beautiful views all around, and great for beginning hikers if you hike from the north or west.

David W Martin - Apr 16, 2019 8:38 am Date Climbed: May 9, 1973

Eagle Cliff Bushwhack  Sucess!

Enjoyed mule deer encounters and the peak. Took a dozen others with me a day later. About half finished the hike to the peak. Left from Estes Park Lodge. I was attending the Convention of Free Clinics First gathering, Nixon was getting impeached.

BKiser90

BKiser90 - Mar 27, 2019 3:18 pm Date Climbed: Mar 27, 2019

Beautiful Views and TICKS!  Sucess!

My wife and I parked the car just north of the bridge then ascended the southwest slopes. There was only a little snow on the southwest side. About halfway up we noticed our first tick on my shirt. We brushed it off and continued. We enjoyed stunning views from the summit then descended. Later, in the car, we found two more ticks and a fourth on my wife when we got home. If you are hiking in spring make sure to spray tick guard on you!

Scott

Scott - Apr 30, 2018 8:14 am Date Climbed: Apr 12, 2018

Eagle Cliff Mountain  Sucess!

After work I climbed Eagle Cliff Mountain just before an approaching storm. The route was steep, but not difficult. I got back right when the storm hit. At the hotel, I noticed two ticks on me.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Aug 12, 2015 12:53 pm Date Climbed: Sep 27, 2014

Morraine Park  Sucess!

Climbed up from Morraine Park visitor center on my way out from some Glacier Gorge area summits. Nice little side trip and a great aerial viewpoint to see all the tourist parked along the road to peep the elk in Morraine Park.

aw11

aw11 - Nov 23, 2014 7:39 pm Date Climbed: Jul 28, 2014

Nice hike  Sucess!

Great, easy climb that only takes an hour up and down. Awesome views. I hike it every year.

Peakbug

Peakbug - Jul 7, 2013 6:03 pm Date Climbed: Mar 16, 2013

Eagle Cliff #16  Sucess!

After Deer Mountain- with rkymtn.

jfulcher

jfulcher - May 14, 2013 1:19 pm Date Climbed: Nov 22, 2012

From the Ycamp  Sucess!

pre-Thanksgiving dinner run.

rkymtn

rkymtn - Mar 17, 2013 2:36 pm Date Climbed: Mar 16, 2013

From Bear Lake Road  Sucess!

My wife and I parked on the southern edge of Moraine Park using the pullout on Bear Lake Road near the bridge over the Big Thompson River. There's a well established trail on the west side of the road the parallels the river and crosses under the road at the bridge. The hike is fairly straight forward, though there are multiple braided trails up the mountain. Nice views from the top.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Apr 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: From the Museum

Turns out the true summit is the eastern point, as I found out on my second time climbing from Co 66

heather14

heather14 - Mar 6, 2011 10:16 pm Date Climbed: Mar 6, 2011

From the Museum  Sucess!

Decided to do a quick jaunt up Eagle Cliff after some skiing at Hidden Valley.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Jan 19, 2011 10:32 am Date Climbed: Jun 24, 2007

Nice walk  Sucess!

Bummer about the graffiti.

MattK

MattK - Dec 23, 2010 2:34 pm Date Climbed: Nov 14, 2010

From the Museum  Sucess!

The wife and I climbed on a cold, blustery day. Was a great hike though. Drove over after a climb of Deer Mountain, and then on to Ed's Cantina where we...well I...had several beers and the wife drove home. What a day.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Dec 13, 2010 2:42 pm Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2010

Via Tortilla Flats  Sucess!

A super quick jaunt after scrambling Point 8,611 down by Glen Haven. Hour RT before setting off for Uncompahgre. Good views of the valley

boisedoc

boisedoc - Aug 3, 2010 12:01 am Date Climbed: Jun 8, 1988

Quick  Sucess!

Quick hike if you are staying at the Y

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Aug 1, 2010 11:04 pm Date Climbed: Oct 23, 2008

From the Museum  Sucess!

Cant go wrong, just go up

joegrim

joegrim - Mar 8, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Non-athlete's comment

I would have to say that it is "easy" compared to most of the other peak ascents in RMNP. :-) But for the short distance required to climb the peak, it is definitely on the steep and slippery side.

bus114 - Jan 27, 2010 7:05 am

Non-athlete's comment  Sucess!

I'd like to give a review from someone who is not a climber, not a big hiker, not an athlete -- just a 50-year old in moderate condition. I laugh at the "Easy" rating for this climb. "Easy" is a relative term; since there's no rock-climbing or mountaineering skill involved, it's easy for a climber. Also easy for someone in very good physical condition. But consider this: It's a 900-foot climb, with some pretty steep sections. Like climbing an 80-story building, but in relatively thin mountain air. And on sometimes slippery dirt and rocks rather than steps. So that requires some effort from a non-athletic person like me. Still, I made it to the top okay, and in a pretty short period of time -- and it was certainly worth it. Beautiful views in all directions early in the morning when I was there.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Aug 18, 2009 7:32 am Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2007

West Slope  Sucess!

Good view.

tomlauren

tomlauren - Mar 9, 2009 12:43 am Date Climbed: Mar 8, 2009

Northwest Slope  Sucess!

Hiked the Northwest Slope from the Moraine Park Museum. I enjoyed the nice, flat, summit block. Great views of Moraine Park and the surrounding peaks.

Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
Return to 'Eagle Cliff Mountain' main page