Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.47551°N / 111.21683°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 8, 2020
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

East Mountain trip report July 8 2020

 

We parked at the north end of Road 017. (N39.48293, W111.23191) This is beyond the fence and OHV gate that is the recommended starting point in other trip reports. Road 017 ends at that point and a trail, signed "East Mountain Trail 1 mile" begins. This is a gradual ascent, with one long switchback, to a spring - with derelict stock troughs - at the ridge. (N39.48762, W111.22168) According to my GPS, the distance to this point is 0.99 miles. The spring was flowing a couple of gallons per minute. Wildflowers in abundance were blooming along the trail.

Here the trail intersects with the East Mountain trail. We turned right at this junction and followed the trail about 1/6 mile to a junction with a faint trail on the right. (N39.48662, W111.21883) We followed this trail for a short distance until it emerged from the forest and then ascended to the south without any turns until it reached the ridge. This use trail is faint and difficult to follow, but the terrain is open from here to the summit and any ascending route is equivalent to any other. The trail turns left (east) at the ridge and leads near (but not to) the summit, visible as an outcrop about 0.4 miles distant.

The USGS topo map shows a trail to the ridge through the forest. This historic trail no longer exists, and the forest here is thick with blowdowns and brambles and other things to deter all but the most determined traveler.

Comments

No comments posted yet.