El Maigmó

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.50123°N / 0.63292°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4252 ft / 1296 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

El Maigmó is the highest peak of the Maigmó massif with 1296m / 4252ft above sea level. Divides the Medio Vinalopó district to the west and La Hoya de Castalla district to the east. In the southeast we find the provincial capital, the city of Alicante. El Maigmó belongs to Tibi, Castalla and Agost municipal districts.

Conserves the best pine forest all over the province, because it has not suffered major fires. Carrascas, rosemary, thymes,… complete this fabulous forest.

In the nearby village of Tibi, we find the Tibi dam, in the green river, considered the oldest running dam in Europe.

In the Maigmó massif, we can practice hiking and sport climbing.


Getting There

From Alicante
Take the A-7 highway to the Agost crossing, take the CV-805 secondary road until we find a little road on the left that lead us to the Alicante Balcony, starting point to the “normal” ascension.


The Tibi Dam

The construction of this dam started in August 17th, 1580 during the reign of Felipe II. It was finished in 1594 with the guidance of the engineer D. Cristóbal Antonilli. Stores until 2 cubic hectometer of the green river water in 50 Ha. It’s a gravity dam with 46m high and 65m long on top.
It was declared “Bien de Interés Cultural” (culturally interesting property) in the Masterpiece category.

The Tibi dam. 2004.10.15The Tibi Dam



Climbing routes

There is a sport climbing area in El Maigmó massif, la Foradà, a inclined fine crag with two different sectors; one of this is hard and shaded and the other one is easier and sunny.

The routes are divided like that:
- From IV to V+ : 22 routes
- From 6a to 6c+ : 43 routes
- From 7a to 7c+ : 25 routes
- From 8a to 8c+ : 9 routes

More information is available in this website


Camping

In the Xorret de Catí area (Maigmó massif), we can sleep in:

- 1 Hotel with 54 rooms, sauna, a hall fully equiped to to impart courses, swiming pool, tennis courts,... (more info: 965560400)

- 1 Hut with 12 places in wood bunks, kitchen, refrigerator, pantry, chimney, electricity, domestic hot water,...

- 3 cabins
* A cabin with 4 places with bunks and firewood heater.
* A cabin with 8 places with 2 rooms, bunks, table with chairs and firewood heater.
* A cabin with 12 places with several rooms, bunks, table with chairs, firewood heater and bathroom with domestic hot water.

- 1 Camp site with bathrooms fully equiped, fountains, tables with bench,... (only weekends and holiday). The camp site is free, but it's necessary to reserve.

More information and bookings

Diputación de Alicante. Área de Medio Ambiente
email: mambient@dip-alicante.es
phone: +34965107400

Silvoturismo Mediterráneo,SL.
phone: +34965376231 / +34676490701
website: www.silvoturismo.com

Free camping is not allowed in Comunidad Valenciana.


Red Tape

There is no special restriction in this massif.


Weather

The weather is Mediterranean-continental. Precipitations are abundant, especially in autumn. In winter, the snowfall and frost are regular. In summer, the sun and the high temperatures dominates almost all the days.

If you need a prediction to 5 days, you can see this link



What can we see from the summit?

From the Maigmó summit. 2005.01.05360º Panoramic view from the summit



External Links

The Tibi dam

http://www.alicantevivo.org/2007/10/el-pantano-de-tibi.html

The Xorret de Catí hut, hotel,...
http://medioambiente.ladipu.com/instalaciones_recreativas/dip_alicante/xorretcati/



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.