Euboic Olympus

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.47800°N / 23.86400°E
Additional Information County: Greece
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3845 ft / 1172 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Although Euboic Olympus does definitely lack the prominence of the abode of Greece's ancient gods, great Mount Olympus in the Greek mainland, it has some rich history, tradition and beauty to exhibit itself. It undoubtedly can make a very good destination for a day or weekend short hiking trip starting from Athens

Getting There

The nearest community to the mountain's west approach (the most popular, though not the only one) is the village of Theologos. It may be reached in a two hours drive from Athens, either driving all the way via Chalcis, or taking the ferry from Oropos to Eretria. Both possibilities would require about the same time and cost. It may also by reached by public transport: Bus or train from Athens to Chalcis, and another bus (most possibly not in a daily basis) to Theologos.

Route

The trailhead is located about 2 km before Theologos from Eretria, at the point where the road passes from a debris-embakment, about 370 amsl (38°27’59.10″N 23°48’39.80″E). The trail is signposted with sparse red dots on rocks or trees, though it's not really necessary to stick to it. Last time I was there I found the trail to be quite neglected, and rather easier to keep a straight east line up the hill where the vegetation is less thick. Anyhow, keeping east, you should soon encounter a dirt-road. You may take this road towards either direction. Both ways will redirect you east to the picturesque and serene Vira Valley. From there on the trail is well-marked and it keeps going east, entering for a while into a fir-forest, until it comes out again right at the rim of the imposing, steep, east face of the mountain, wherefrom great views may be wondered at. For the last part of the trip, the trail turns to the north towards the now visible pyramidal summit of the mountain. The whole trip should take 1-2 hours one way.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

All year round. During good winter, one may as well ski or snowboard downhills.

Camping

Camping is allowed everywhere

External Links

Full account + map

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
yatsek

yatsek - Jun 19, 2016 7:24 am - Voted 7/10

Layout

The way I see it, it would be better to delete the album and embed the photos in the mtn/rock page.

DimitriosFan

DimitriosFan - Jun 19, 2016 8:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Layout

Thanks for the advise. Is your point that the pictures should be directy shown on the main page, if I understand well? Do you know if there is any way to render the pictures as an album automaticly visible on the front page?

yatsek

yatsek - Jun 20, 2016 6:46 am - Voted 7/10

Re: Layout

You're welcome. Have a look at some of these pages. When it comes to inserting pictures, I don't know much about how the new editor works - I use the old one unless I need to resize a photo.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.