Viewing: 1-13 of 13
T Sharp

T Sharp - Jul 13, 2007 1:41 am - Voted 10/10

Very well writen!

I thouroughly enjoyed reading this article! Tear down the disclaimer, no excuses are needed, this is fine stuff indeed, I hope you write more!
Cheers;
Tim

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jul 13, 2007 4:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Why We Climb

Way to lay it out there. A compelling connection between who you are and why you love mountains.

Travis_

Travis_ - Jul 14, 2007 1:59 am - Voted 10/10

Great

I totally related, great article.

ktimm

ktimm - Jul 14, 2007 9:51 pm - Hasn't voted

DIg it

I like it. I agree with a lot of the statements. Keep it up

Pat M

Pat M - Jul 18, 2007 11:44 pm - Voted 10/10

awesome

Man that's deep stuff, and a lot of my views as well. Well done!

Dan Helmstadter - Jul 20, 2007 2:52 am - Hasn't voted

reply

"Already born into death, the snows of winter surround us from the day we emerge and never really fade, not even in the warmest of summer’s months"

I like your writeing, good work!

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jul 20, 2007 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

I agree with Tim (T Sharp)...

...tear down the disclaimer. What follows IS much. I like your writing (and I like what you say). I like your photographs.

...Keep it up!

Dtringas - Jul 20, 2007 4:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice work

I like your writing. I feel as you do sometimes about people "getting it" and wonder if I am being an asshole to think no one else could possibly get it. But the city makes me parannoid... and wears out my eyes. I mean it literally hurts my eyes, especially in the middle of the day in the summer when its hot and my small mountain town is covered with tourists puring exhaust all over the place from their huge cars. But, what can I say... i guess they have a right to visit our mountains too, but they aren't the most respectful bunch. They come over the summer, leave their trash in the woods and go back to florida (nothing against floridians, I used to be one :)

SFMountaineer

SFMountaineer - Jul 22, 2007 10:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

I really enjoyed this piece. Supurb writing style. No disclaimer necessary.

winterfae

winterfae - Jul 25, 2007 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks.

I get it.

supermarmot

supermarmot - Jul 25, 2007 12:56 am - Voted 10/10

i get it too:)

very well written.

i don't like the title though (fact, i almost didn't read it until i saw the other comments.) i think that to ascribe the themes of your piece so explicitly to an old philosophical movement is to cheapen it. if you want to talk about artificiality, you'd be hard pressed to find a more salient example than named philosophical movements: thoughts guided by and fitted into silly and meaningless templates...

i guess what i'm saying is that your piece stands well on its own. you've penned some beautiful thoughts here, making for an engaging read. in doing so you've artfully captured the interest of many outdoor enthusiasts and without being overtly academic (save for maybe the title:)
give it a name that lets it be art, not academic drivel.

cheers,
david

tcram84

tcram84 - Jul 25, 2007 8:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: i get it too:)

I appreciate the comments and perspective; it's certainly interesting. For the most part, I gave the title little thought. Originally, the word document was saved to my computer as 'etc.', but that may have been a little too vague to get much attention...

I guess what I'm saying is that the title is really just a place holder more than anything. To me, the word existentialism is just a descriptive word for the types of feelings my time in the wilderness invokes, not an overt link to Camus, Sartre, etc.

Panthera uncia

Panthera uncia - Aug 2, 2007 4:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful

I have had similar experiences in the mountains and feel the same way. I'm trapped in a society I don't understand.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Existentialism & the Mountain' main page