Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 8, 2014 12:49 am - Voted 10/10

Couple of things

Don't take the obvious trailhead where there is parking and what looks like a sign. Go to the end of the parking area where the horse trailers are and there are posts set up for horses and take that trail where there is a Wilderness Permit sign set up. It's sort of hidden.

Also, I'd highly recommend taking a GPS to get back to the spot where you leave the trail as that spot can't be seen once you descend the ridge into the trees. And if you do get lost, like I did, make sure you have a compass and head due south to intersect the trail. Your head will tell you to descend the fall line but that will take you below the trail in the Miners Creek gully. You may need to actually go up, heading due south to reach the trail.

I made a weak little cairn at the spot where you climb through the rock bands. Someone also made one up top so you can tell where to descend from the summit. Hopefully they will remain but it's also fairly obvious where you need to climb up.

And when you are descending around the base of the summit pinnacle, hug the base of the rock the whole way. It's the best footing.

leftfield

leftfield - May 11, 2015 1:56 am - Hasn't voted

It helped

Brian - thanks for the cairn.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Fifes Peak (West Peak)' main page