Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Jerry L

Jerry L - May 19, 2008 10:23 am - Voted 10/10

Barely Rains ?

Couldn't help myself. I've made it to Colorado and climbed a bit here. Been out 2 weeks now. Take care.

Jerry

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - May 20, 2008 12:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Barely Rains ?

It all depends on when you are here, Jerry! Hope you are having a good time on the road. With the price of diesel fuel, you must be hurting! Vic

T Mac

T Mac - May 19, 2008 2:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Very nice

This is a much more enjoyable read than anything that's made its way to my office desk today.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - May 20, 2008 12:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice

Thanks for the kind words, T. I hope it brightened up your desk time today.

Haliku

Haliku - Jul 10, 2008 9:34 am - Voted 10/10

Very interesting!

I enjoyed the article. As an ex-archaeologist I cringe every time I see sites that have been raided. It seems to be human nature to disturb graves of previous cultures. If I'm ever in the area I'd love to take this trek. Cheers!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Jul 10, 2008 3:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the article. I would like to see an archaeologist come down here and research some of these sites before they get totally destroyed. Please let me know if you ever are heading this way. There is a large cemetary near Aplao, on the drive to Cotahuasi. The whole hillside is covered with graves, many of them opened and the bones just scattered. I guess they were looking for treasure or something saleable. I have one photo on my Valley of the Volcanoes report. I have a few more photos posted here as well, they are at the end of my recent 7 summits report.

Vic

rgg

rgg - Oct 15, 2013 9:48 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks :-)

Very well written, you've just put a smile on my face. It made me feel as if I was in southern Peru myself, a lone foreigner hiking and scrambling just for fun, to the wonderment of the few scattered locals I met. And I also remember one occasion, after one of my hikes there, how I literally spent hours to get all those sticky seeds out of my socks again!

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Oct 15, 2013 11:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks :-)

Thank you Rob, glad you enjoyed the article. Was wondering what caused the interest in the article now, and see it is a current featured article, even though I wrote it 5 years ago! Cool! I don't expect to get to do any climbing, but I am going to Peru in 3 weeks for a 10 day mission trip, and then will stay and visit Cotahuasi for a week or so, and then on to Arequipa as well before a few days in Lima. 1 month altogether, so really looking forward to it. Will definitely get some hiking in.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Finding the Dead in the Mountains' main page