Frenchman Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

plasmasnake - Jan 11, 2005 1:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I would prefer to see the comment in parenthesis; "rarely climbed by locals (who prefer to smoke, drink and gamble)" removed from this article since it in now way is representive of the Las Vegas community. Las Vegas locals do not prefer to smoke, drink and gamble. If you are a visitor here, all you may see is people drinking smoking and gambling, keep in mind those people are all tourists, they are not locals and even if some of them are locals there are not enough locals gambling drinking and smoking in casinos for a comment like that to be valid. There are "many" people who live in Las Vegas that are living their lives and struggleing just like in the rest of the world, and to say that the locals of Las Vegas are just a bunch of hedonists, is uncalled for. Please correct this article out of respect for the people of this community.

docwatt1959 - Nov 9, 2005 11:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I have been living in the vegas valley since 1978, I moved here when i was 18 years old and i met some local young teens my own age who were born here in the valley and after hanging out with them at the base of frenchman mountain were Bonaza rd came to end. there was a porch and a cave at the foot of the mountain where high school teens gathered to drink and smoke pot. I remeber them telling stories of a old woman living in the mountain inside the cave, the storie was she had onwed the mountain or had inherited it from her family and chose to live there some time during the late 1930s to the mid or late 1960s when she was found frozen to death. My question is has anyone else heard about this story ?

if so, could you please share some information on weather its true or not !

"Thank You"

"Tour Guide"

trailrunnerz - Mar 23, 2020 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Inaccurate Characterization of Las Vegas Locals

The article inaccurately states that "the mountain is rarely climbed by locals (who prefer to smoke, drink and gamble). It is remarkable that such a prominent landmark is so neglected." As a Las Vegas local and owner of https://lasvegasareatrails.com I regularly see a very healthy and environmentally conscious hiking and climbing community here in Las Vegas during each of my wilderness adventures. It is easy to make stereotype populations, races and genders based on prejudice and not on fact. However, I hope that SummitPost.org will have nothing to do with such opinions. When I'm out there hiking and climbing I often turn to SummitPost.org for guidance, and I hope that the guidance I receive from this site will be based on fact and not opinion. This article makes me question that hope.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Frenchman Mountain' main page