Frozen Head Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Jan 15, 2024 12:04 pm Date Climbed: Jan 13, 2024

Cold but not Snowy Frozen Head   Sucess!

The weather was 28 degrees but the mountain and its trails (North Mac up, South Mac down) were snow free. Views on way up through the leaf less trees were nice. Summit was kind of charmless even with its lookout tower and its 240 degree view. 8.5 miles of mostly gradually climbing trail.

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Nov 25, 2020 9:55 pm Date Climbed: Nov 23, 2020

South Mac Trail  Sucess!

This park is a real gem. Eighty minutes to the top on a sunny day in fall. It was nice to get back to a region with flowing water after two months in the southwest. Took a shower afterward in the bathroom at the parking lot.

Cortez

Cortez - Sep 12, 2005 3:34 pm

Route Climbed: South Mac Trail Date Climbed: September 11, 2005  Sucess!

This is a nice gradual climb that can be done in an afternoon. We left the carpark at 13:30 & were back by 15:30.

There was a lot of fresh blowdown along the trail from Hurricane Katrina. Cons crews had already cleared most of the debris from the trail.

The weather was unusually dry for this time of year in east Tennessee. The temp was around 87 degrees Farenheit. It was evident by the dry leaves that the trees were parched. The myriad water sources were also dry.

Along the trail there were several nices boulders and small cliffs>>Nice for a shrort scramble>>

The summit lacks views in September.

The serenity of the summit has been detroyed by man with the placement of a cell phone/radio tower, a derelect building and a dilapadated fire tower surrounded by an obnoxioux chain-linked fence with razor wire that has been closed to the public since April 25, 2005. The crows nest at the top of the tower had been removed.

There is a spring (Tub Spring) about 0.06 miles down the hill from the summit.



Hiking Party:

Michael Booker

Jennifer Booker

Shiloh

steve simmons

steve simmons - Jun 10, 2002 2:01 pm

Route Climbed: Rat Jaw Route Date Climbed: April '98, '99, '00, Feb '99, '00  Sucess!

Climbed during the Barkley on the April dates, training on the others.

GOD bless!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Frozen Head' main page