Gallo Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Feb 8, 2006 12:21 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Be advised that FR253 may be closed during winter months. I planned to hike Manzano Feb. 6 2006, but found the road gated off just past Manzano State Park. The signed said it was closed in winter "for resource protection." I have no idea if FS422 might be open from Abo Pass to the south, or FS 275 from Punta de Agua. I assume the closure effects all routes to Red Canyon trailhead, but just maybe 422 might be left open far enough to Climb Manzano Peak via Pine Shadow Trail. I can't find any reference to the subject on the Forest Service website. If you are similarly unlucky, the closest alternative is to take FS 245 out of Manzano and hike Osha Peak instead.

Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Mar 9, 2006 7:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Untitled Comment

thanks for the info., it will make the mountain page more helpful

davebobk47

davebobk47 - May 31, 2008 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Trigo Fire and Fees

I just went down to this area today (31 May 08) and many Forest Roads, Campgrounds, and trails are still closed due to the Trigo Fire. There was no information posted as to when everything would re-open. Also this is a fee area. All the signs said $7 for a campsite, I could not find the cost for just day use but I was informed that I had to pay if I wanted to park my car in this area.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Gallo Peak' main page