Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 27, 2006 3:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Most visitted?

Hey Dan,

Good for you tackling this large project. But I seriously doubt that the Smokies are "easily the most visitted" range in the eastern US. Probably the Whites, Catskills, and Poconos, and certainly the Shenandoahs are much more popular being closer to major population centers than the Smokies. Granted, I've experienced the Smokies over spring break and it was impressive.

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 27, 2006 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Most visited

Thanks for your interest. It is taking some time! As for the visitation question, I did some research. Great Smoky Mountains NP attracts over 9 million visitors annually. As for the places you mentioned The Poconos attract 3.5 million, White Mountain NF 2.7 million, Shenandoah NP 1.2 million, and the Catskills 574,000. If you still don't believe it I'd invite you to visit Newfound Gap around noon on a sunny 4th of July weekend...you'll feel like the whole east coast has come with you:) Thankfully most of the people don't get into the backcountry!

Thanks again for the feedback! -Dan

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Most visited

I stand corrected. Interesting stats.

desainme

desainme - Jul 27, 2006 4:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Pretty cool

I'll make a pitch for the inclusion of Thunderhead 5527' on the TN/NC line above Cades Cove. It is not on SP yet.
North 35.568693, West -83.706321

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 27, 2006 4:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pretty cool

Thanks alot, I'll throw it in there. I've never been there but I've read that its beautiful. Thanks!
-Dan

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 31, 2006 2:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: well done

Thank you for the kind words. -Dan

injektilo

injektilo - Jul 29, 2006 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool!

Very nice page. I LOVE the smokies! Brings back many fond memories of growing up in southern Ohio... my family used to visit the Smokies every year! The Smokies are probably the reason I love hiking so much today.

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 31, 2006 2:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool!

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your interest. -Dan

mrh

mrh - Jul 31, 2006 5:39 am - Voted 10/10

Easily . . .

one of the best pages on SP. You have obviously put in a lot of effort and it shows.

dwhike

dwhike - Aug 6, 2006 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Easily . . .

Much appreciated, thank you. -Dan

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Aug 6, 2006 8:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent

Very thorough job. A credit to the site!

CRiedel2

CRiedel2 - Aug 12, 2006 4:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Impressive!

Wow! You did a great job with this page! I'll be visiting it frequently. Very informative indeed. I've been thinking of spending a few weekends in the Smokies and I know I can start with this page. Thanks!

rasgoat

rasgoat - Aug 18, 2006 8:49 am - Voted 10/10

Can't wait to go!

This page totally got me jazzed to go to the Smokies! I will definately be using it to plan my trip! Also I hope one day to posess the skills to create such a cool page!

dwhike

dwhike - Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Can't wait to go!

Thanks for the nice comment. Hope you enjoy your trip! If you need any x-tra info don't hesitate to write.

Dean

Dean - Jan 14, 2007 3:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Terrific resource

You've done an outstanding job in presenting lots of information.
I've only been able to visit Clingmans Dome and the Chimney Tops but hopefully I can get back to this area of the country again sometime. This page deserves an eleven.

dwhike

dwhike - Jan 14, 2007 3:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Terrific resource

Thank you so much. I thought that a place as diverse and unique as the Smokies deserved as complete a page as possible. I'm glad you approve and appreciate the comments.

-Dan

Turbo

Turbo - Mar 4, 2007 2:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks...

... for putting together such a complete and helpful page for the smoky mountains. I've referenced it several times now when planning recent trips. Great work!

dwhike

dwhike - Mar 4, 2007 3:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks...

I'm glad it's been helpful for you. If you have any suggestions at all or updates I should know about from your recent trips please feel free to let me know as I don't get to the Smokies as much as I used to!

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Sep 29, 2007 9:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Well researched

Comprehensive discussion of trails, campgrounds, shelters, and peaks, with some fine pictures to boot. What more could you ask for in a range page?

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Page!

I spend a lot of time in the Smoky Mountains. You have created a very detailed page. Great work!

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Great Smoky Mountains' main page