Grizzly Peak (and 'Grizzly's Hump')

Grizzly Peak (and 'Grizzly's Hump')

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.84575°N / 121.1537°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish/Chelan
Additional Information Elevation: 5597 ft / 1706 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview










Point 5770 and Heather Lake from Grizzly Peak
Point 5770 and Heather Lake from Grizzly Peak - the burned summit above the lake is Shoofly Mountain


Grizzly Peak is a 5597' forest and meadow-covered high point on the Cascade crest, located eight miles N/NW of Stevens Pass, and two miles south of Wenatchee Pass. Also in the immediate vicinity is Point 5770, which is by far the more impressive peak in terms of views and prominence.

Note: It has been brought to my attention that Point 5770 is sometimes referred to as 'Grizzly's Hump', and the title for the page has been changed to reflect that.


Grizzly Peak from Point 5650
Grizzly Peak and Point 5770 from Point 5650

Why Point 5597 was named Grizzly Peak is something of a mystery. While black bears are plentiful in this area, grizzly bears are not to be found. Secondly, with only 157' of prominence, Grizzly Peak does not even qualify as a summit. Lastly, views from the 'summit' of Grizzly Peak are disappointing - in fact, the meadows before and after the high point are more impressive.

Grizzly Peak from Fortune Mountain
Point 5770 and Grizzly Peak from Fortune Mountain

For these reasons, this page will place more emphasis on Point 5770, and most of the photographs will be from its summit. Point 5770 should also prove to be much more popular with peakbaggers, as it boasts an impressive 1550' of prominence. Whether you choose to tag one or both summits, you are sure to enjoy the long approach on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), as the views of lakes, peaks, and meadows are sure to keep your eyes popping.

Grizzly Peak and Point 5770 from false east summit from false
Grizzly Peak and Point 5770 from false east summit 

Note: Point 5770 is improperly labeled on the USGS map as being entirely within Chelan County. The true summit is located 300' west on the Snohomish/Chelan County line. In fact, the summit marked as 5770 on the USGS map was shown to be at least 25' lower on my GPS. Hopefully, this will clear up any confusion for those using listsofjohn or other databases.

Getting There


There are numerous possibilities for approaching Grizzly Peak - Smithbrook, Stevens Pass, Meadow Creek/Fortune Mountain, Fall Mountain/Wenatchee Pass, or cross-country from Heather Lake/Glasses Lake. Smithbrook is the simplest and easiest approach, and will be the only one described in detail. It is assumed that those hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from other starting points can easily reference the route map for necessary information. 

From Stevens Pass, follow US2 east for four miles to the Smithbrook Road (FR6700). US2 will be divided here - use caution crossing the westbound lanes. Follow FR6700 northwest for 2.8 miles to the obvious Smithbrook trailhead (3950').

Route


Please note that the start of the Smithbrook connector trail has changed considerably since the printing of the USGS map.


Grizzly Peak route map
Grizzly Peak route map - Red line shows normal hiking approach via Smithbrook, yellow lines show scramble routes up Point 5770 and Point 5650, blue lines show alternate approaches from the PCT.


From the trailhead, follow the Smithbrook connector trail for about one mile, to its junction with the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) near Union Gap (4700'). At Union Gap, turn right, and follow the PCT for 2.2 miles to Lake Janus. Shortly before Lake Janus, you will pass a nice little waterfall. This would probably be the best place to top off your water bottles in late season. One could certainly accomplish this task at the lake, but my suspicion is that the waterfall source is a little cleaner.

Waterfall near Lake Janus on Grizzly Peak approach
Waterfall near Lake Janus on Grizzly Peak approach

Lake Janus is a pleasant lake, assuming that you do not arrive at the height of bug season. For those who desire an overnight, there are numerous campsites available.

Lake Janus on Grizzly Peak approach
Lake Janus on Grizzly Peak approach - Jove Peak visible on right

After leaving Lake Janus, the PCT will begin a steady climb, reaching a 5200' gap after 1.5 miles. At this point, you will be just southeast of Point 5650, which is a fantastic viewpoint in its own right (more on that later). From the gap, the trail will never dip below 5000' for the remainder of your journey. While you still have over three miles to go, you will hardly notice, as your attention will constantly be diverted by scenic vistas, lakes, and meadows. Several rocky viewpoints are available as you hike along the ridge - use caution, as some of them are quite exposed.

Glasses Lake on Grizzly Peak approach
Glasses Lake on Grizzly Peak approach

Glacier Peak and Point 5770 from Grizzly Peak
Glacier Peak from Grizzly Peak

Roughly one-half mile before Grizzly Peak, the PCT will climb through a series of switchbacks as you ascend from 5200' to 5600'. There is nothing to indicate that you have arrived near the summit, besides the fact that the trail levels off. The true summit will be off to your right - if you keep your eyes open, you will notice a faint path leading towards it and a small campsite. Truthfully, the views will be a little disappointing, but that's okay, because the 'real' Grizzly Peak is just a short scramble away.

Continue north on the PCT for 0.7 miles, as the trail makes a gradual descent to a well-defined notch at 5400'. At this point, a very faint climber's path/game trail will lead right off the PCT, and start up the southwest ridge extending off of Point 5770. 

Point 5770 from Grizzly Peak
Point 5770 from Grizzly Peak - photo taken just above the 5400' notch

Generally speaking, it is best to stay just to climber's right of the ridge crest for a mostly brush-free experience. The scrambling should be mostly class 2, and game trails can be followed most of the way up. The true summit will be recognized by 30' rock cliffs on the south side. Just before reaching the summit, cross to the other side of the ridge, and finish on the gentle north slope. While Point 5770 does not have a full 360 degree view, visiting a couple of closely-spaced viewpoints will give unrestricted views in all directions.

North pano from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
North pano from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)

South pano from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
South pano from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)

Glacier Peak and Dakobed Range from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
Glacier Peak and Dakobed Range from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak) - Fall Mountain on bottom of photo

Fortune Mountain and Peach Lake from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
Fortune Mountain and Peach Lake from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)

Skykomish Peak from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
Skykomish Peak from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)

Scrabble Mountain from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak)
Scrabble Mountain from Point 5770 (Grizzly Peak) - Point 5650 on far left

Bonus Peak: Time permitting, make sure you tag Point 5650 on your way to/from Grizzly Peak. Unlike most of the peaks in the area, it offers unrestricted 360 degree views for a modest amount of effort. I chose to ascend via the north ridge, which was an easy class 2 scramble (a few low-exposure class 3 moves at the top). Alternatively, one could ascend from the 5200' gap southeast of the summit, at the expense of a few more class 3 moves.

Point 5650 final scramble
Point 5650 north ridge final scramble

Point 5650 pano
Point 5650 pano

Spire Mountain and Bear Mountain from Point 5650
Spire MountainBear Mountain, and Point 5327 from Point 5650 

Point 5650 south pano
Point 5650 south pano - Labyrinth Mountain on far left, Mount Howard just left of Jove Peak (big green patch), Union Peak center, Lichtenberg Mountain and Mount McCausland in right third of photo.


Red Tape


A Northwest Forest Pass is not required at the Smithbrook trailhead at the time of this writing. For the other trailheads, please contact the Skykomish or Leavenworth ranger stations for more details.

When to Climb


The Smithbrook trailhead would probably be accessible (or close to it) by May in most years, and would probably be inaccessible at some point in November.

Camping


Most campers will probably prefer Lake Janus. As I am not a huge fan of bugs, I would probably camp near the summit of Grizzly Peak. There are several other small campsites available along the length of the trail.