Grizzly Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 23, 2023 12:45 pm Date Climbed: Oct 23, 2023

Cascade Creek  Sucess!

Super blustery, windy fall day. Great mountain. But it wasted no time in gaining elevation. The surrounding rock glaciers are crazy! Ascended with Regina.

SanJuanMtnsHiker

SanJuanMtnsHiker - Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2023

Found the 5th class ridge route!  Sucess!

We generally followed the page author's suggested route (wrapping around to the west side of the mountain). However, we were tempted to ascend the scree slope, from the first saddle, to the east ridge. I was worried that some of the gullies on the W/NW side might be snow filled. My partner and I were feeling up to a 3rd/4th class ridge and hoped to find that. DON'T DO IT! Although the view was awesome from the ridge, there's a significant stretch of 5th class cliffs and pinnacles. We ended up descending back to the author's suggested route, on the west side of the peak, and had a fun climb via his directions. Nothing more than 3rd class scrambling. Beautiful summit views! BTW: the rocky Cascade Divide road took about 1.5 hours of driving from the Purgatory Resort turn off Hwy 550. Stock Toyota 4Runner had no problem with it. Just very rocky the last 7 miles.

theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Nov 27, 2020 2:45 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2020

from end of Cascade Divide Road  Sucess!

Nice hike! This is one I didn't have a lot of info on and so thought it would be more difficult than it was. I did miss the turn-off for the secondary trail -- I had thought the turnoff would be further along the CT trail. So that made it a little more interesting on the way up, but it wasn't a bad bushwhack.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jun 29, 2020 8:22 am Date Climbed: Jun 20, 2020

The Long Way  Sucess!

Not really having a vehicle capable of Cascade Creek, I did this one from South Mineral via the Rico-Silverton Trail. Up and over a 12,500 pass both ways made this one over 6500 vertical for one summit, but it was a beautiful day out. Access gully still had snow, ice axe and crampons were needed.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jul 14, 2014 10:03 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2014

Nice and easy hike  Sucess!

Cascade Road, then part of Colorado Trail, then trail up towards the basin below Grizzly, surprisingly easy, class 2, not much scree (the main approach gully to the ridge was still filled with the snow). Amazing views.
Lovely Peak!

Tim Heckel

Tim Heckel - Jul 2, 2012 11:39 am Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2007

Grizzly   Sucess!

Needing a new hobby I decided to climb the 6 Grizzly's in Colorado that are over 13,000'. This one Lisa and I climbed via Graysill Mine, Rico-Silverton trail, to the southwest ridge and face.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Jul 25, 2011 7:52 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2011

With "V 10"  Sucess!

Climbed standard gully route from end of road above ski area. Combined with "V 10" which is a dangerous pile of choss! Grizzly itself was nice enough though.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Grizzly Peak' main page