Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Very well written page!

And also great that you added the chapter of a multi day trip!
I updated the Rieserferner group accordingly (map and links).
Best,
Vid

rgg

rgg - Feb 16, 2017 6:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very well written page!

Thanks for the compliment.

When I started writing, I wasn't even sure how to go about that multi day trip, even had my doubts whether I should mention it at all. When I was done, I was happy with the result, I'm glad you agree.

There are many variations and permutations to make multi day trips in the area. When I started, I had an outline in my head, no more. This is what I ended up doing:

1. From Rein im Taufers to the Kasseler Hütte. Just a couple of hours, so a late start is no problem. From the Kasseler Hütte a short but fun return trip to Tristenockl.

2. Traverse Magerstein and Schneebiger Nock, back to the Kasseler Hütte. Turned out to be the best day of the whole trip.

3. Via Lenkstein to the Barmer Hütte.

4. Over the Jägerscharte to the Staller Sattel, continuing to the Enzianhütte by the Antholzer See. Side trips to Große Ohrenspitze and Almerhorn.

5. To the Rieserferner Hütte.

6. Over the Mühlbacher Jöchl (2983m) all the way down to Gais (836m), with side trip to Schwarze Wand (3105m).


Apart from Hochgall, this variation ends up covering everything that's mentioned in the DAV trip and a bit more. I did consider Hochgall, but after studying the route description I decided I didn't want to solo it. At the Kasseler Hütte I met a group that went there, but they turned around somewhere on the ridge when they were not comfortable with the exposure anymore. As mountaineers they were inexperienced, but they did have a rope. Only anecdotal evidence, I know, but if a group with a rope turns around, it reinforces my point that Hochgall is no place for hikers.

Maybe I'll come back one day to climb Hochgall. Start at the Barmer Hütte perhaps, climb the east face and then descend the normal route to the Kasseler Hütte. With the right partner (and a rope, just in case) that should be fun.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 16, 2017 3:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very well written page!

Yes, you found this multi day trip a fine description, which I understand. But it's just one possibility among many - also because the authors made a nice trip.

From my, a bit remote perspective, I prefer to find separate route descriptions on each of the mountains, and then I'm on my own how to decide how to combine them. Of course, any suggestion is welcome.

So, the proposal is interesting, perhaps now, when you can edit also the Rieserferner group, you may even consider to move it there. It's actually not about any of particular mountains, but about the broader group.

Cheers,
Vid

rgg

rgg - Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very well written page!

Good point, that it is more about the group than any particular mountain. I followed your proposal, and moved the whole chapter to the page of the Rieserferner Group. For those that are reading this and wonder it is all about: see here.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Große Ohrenspitze / Grande Orecchio' main page