Guatemala Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
nartreb

nartreb - May 14, 2008 7:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Well done!

This is vastly better than your previous effort!

Resist the temptation to give details about every mountain, climbing area, national park, etc. - you don't even have to list them (though it's not such a bad idea, since there are so few Guatemalan peaks with SP pages - maybe you could do one or two separate List pages and attach them to this page). Mention a few of the most notable ones, link to the ones that have pages, and trust that someone will come along and create the pages that are missing. Where there are (or will be) lots of mountains to manage, it's best to have a nested structure - a page for Guatemala like this one, maybe a page for each of the two main ranges, maybe a page for each sub-range or park, and finally a mountain page (with route pages attached), where pages at each smaller scale get increasingly detailed and specific. That way, a page for a whole country doesn't have to include the camping rules at volcano X (except to illustrate a rule that applies generally in the country).

While waiting for a nested meta-structure and more mountain pages, all ten existing mountain pages (plus your Cerro Quemado page - which I think is an Area/Range, not a Route, anyway) can be Attached to this page.

PS Noticing unwanted white space around your new table? Put NOFORMAT tags around the table.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - May 14, 2008 11:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Thanks, glad you like this version. Thanks also for all the great feedback - it was a real help. I am working on the Spanish version. Hope to see you down here sometime!

Joe White

Joe White - May 14, 2008 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Very cool!

Great Job! On our profile page and website, we have pictures from our trip to Guatemala. It was very fun!

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - May 14, 2008 11:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very cool!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the page and had fun in Guatemala. Its difficult to decide what goes in and what does not. Acatenango and Fuego are my favorite peaks. The spine connecting the two takes my breath away everytime I walk across it. I'm happy you got to experience them. The last time I went up, we camped in the saddle between the two - a little less exposure than camping in the crater!

apachedino

apachedino - May 16, 2008 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

San Pedro

Nice page, I recently returned from a fabulous trip to Guatemala. We climbed Pacaya and San Pedro, which by the way you should include as a "child" I like the addition of Semuc Champey even though it is not a mountain. I love that area, Lanquin is such a beautiful little town but with alot to do both in and around it.

mmcguigan

mmcguigan - May 18, 2008 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: San Pedro

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed Guatemala. Pacaya is such a great peak to hike up. You are right, Languin and surrounds is a beautiful place to visit and I will add San Pedro - thanks for the suggestion. If you ever find yourself down here again, stop by and say hello!

BLong

BLong - Sep 9, 2009 1:42 am - Voted 10/10

Good work

I just revisited this page for the first time in a long time. It has really come a long way. Congrats on your effort.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Guatemala' main page