Gunn Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
TimMcCabe32

TimMcCabe32 - Jun 22, 2002 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good start. More context is needed. Photos and route info would also be helpful.



---love the improvements, this has really turned into a great page. Keep up the good work.

Charlie

Charlie - Jun 27, 2002 9:08 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I second the comments TimMcCabe32 made.

bigwally

bigwally - Jan 5, 2003 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Good page. Would really love to read some about the early climbing history. The links that you included are very good. Thank you for Caring and Sharing this information !!!!

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 15, 2011 9:51 am - Hasn't voted

June 2011: New Page Owner

After making repeated e-mail attempts to contact the previous page owner so that improvements could be made to this page, I was allowed to first become an Administrator and later the Page Owner.

As this peak is the highest mountain in the Wild Sky Wilderness, essentially the "crown jewel" of that area, I plan to improve this page with more information and photos in the future. I also hope some past down-voters will recast their votes after some improvements are made.

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Contact?

Actually, I have sent several e-mails to you (via SummitPost) during the past 5-1/2 weeks. Perhaps the e-mail address in your SummitPost account is incorrect or outdated? Because you do not seldom log-in to your SummitPost account, if you have a better way for me to contact you in the future please either PM or e-mail with the correct contact information. I don't want there to be any confusion or hard feelings for anything else.

I wasn't trying to step on your toes or steal the page from you. You had not logged in for a while, so I felt e-mail was better than PM. The page had a horrible vote-rating, and I asked the Elves if I could try to improve it. And with the primary climbing season for the peak right around the corner, I felt it was important to improve the page sooner than later. After the first couple of weeks with no response, they made me a Page Administrator to have editing privileges. I did not want to make any changes unless I either heard from you or became the Page Owner. I already started working with several people to remove or change their past bad votes. After several more weeks passed by with no response to my e-mails, I assumed the role of Page Owner today and immediately started making changes to the main page. My hope is to improve the page even further than before, as Gunn Peak is a very important peak to the Wild Sky Wilderness, peakbaggers, and prominence baggers.

However, I plan to keep your Route page as is, and I reference it (and link it) several times on the main page.

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Contact?

You might use the website regularly, but your profile showed you had not been logged-in since April (when you added the Route page on Cleveland Mountain). And before that, it had been many months. Judging from that, I had no way of knowing how often you visited SummitPost without logging in. As for the e-mail thing, I just tried the SP feature with a test e-mail to myself, and it worked. I also received your e-mail to me today, using the same feature. This verifies the system works for my e-mail address. I am not certain if it works for yours, or if you received the messages and just chose to ignore them, or if your e-mail server/provider filters out such e-mails as spam. When I sent the e-mails to you, I copied-and-pasted what I wrote on a WORD document (which I have at home), so I would have it for my own records (since the SummitPost e-mail feature does not allow for copies of the e-mails to be sent to the sender). I did what I believed were the necessary steps to acquiring this page, including multiple attempts to contact you, many weeks of no responses, and multiple contacts with the Elves. I did not steal the page away or use any egregious methods.

The fact of the matter is the reason the Gunn Peak page votes don't look as bad now is that after I contacted the Elves about this page and became an Administrator, they removed one very bad vote and I had several others changed/removed as well. Before I acquired the page it had a page vote of ~39%, then ~51% when I became an Administrator, then ~70% after I contacted some people and got the ball moving. That is because of my efforts, not yours. You have had the page since 2002 and had plenty of time to improve the page, have the votes changed or removed, etc. You are a Page Owner for only a handful of SP pages, and if you come onto SummitPost regularly (like you just suggested) then it should be your obligation as a Page Owner to *never* let a SP page get to a sub 70% vote level. I will not allow you to claim credit where it is not due. The page was being neglected, and I believe this is an important Washington peak. I made the necessary attempts to contact you via e-mail, and will proceed with making this a better page and improving (and expanding) its vote ratings.

Bottom Line: My primary goals (and reasons for becoming the Page Owner) are to make this page better, more informative, and more usable. Those should be the goals of all SummitPost Page Owners.

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Page

The former Gunn Peak page owner has apparently and unfortunately chosen to remove route description information from his Route page. That information described the standard route (south approach) for the mountain. That action of information removal will adversely affect any person seeking such route information as well as successfully climbing this peak.

I will be re-creating the route soon, possibly on the main page.

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Major Page Revisions Done

June 17, 2011: I have just completed major revisions to the main page. I have totally rewritten the main page, including more information about the peak than was previously provided. I have also added photos and created basic pictorials to assist future people interested in the peak. Rather than remake an additional Route page (to replace the original Route page that its owner deleted information for), I have included directions for the standard route (southern approach) that are much more detailed than the previous Route page ever was.

I hope this effort is appreciated by those using and referencing this page in the future. If you have any questions or comments, please send me a PM.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jun 17, 2011 3:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Good work

Looks great Redwic, now the page seems to be in good hands and is much more informative than before.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jun 17, 2011 4:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Changes

I've upped my vote from an 8 to a 10 to reflect the fact that this page now includes a lot more information than it did back when I climbed Gunn in 2009.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Nice make-over. Now that's what I call an informative page!

Klenke

Klenke - Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Eric Noel's GPS map

Craig,

It should be noted that my sketch's green dashed line ("hard way") is the same as Eric's route on his GPS map. This is in no way easier than the easy way shown on my sketch. This needs to be noted better in your description. Eric told me as much that he didn't take the easy way. I also went that way on my first failed attempt at Gunn many moons ago.

Redwic

Redwic - Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Eric Noel's GPS map

I appreciate the comment, although you are not totally correct.

I believe you are correct about Eric ascending the hard way (as you did). However, Eric told me last week (while I was making page revisions) that the route map he posted on SP was not his; it was created using somebody else's waypoints and track log, and I believe it was from during the descent when using the correct route.

His route map on SP very clearly shows to go left (west) at the old abandoned road... towards the easy way. Your route map very clearly shows you went right (east) at the old abandoned road... towards the hard way.

I made a similar route map to Eric's map, using my own track log:
http://www.summitpost.org/gunn-peak-sample-route-topo/722761/c-151026
Although my topo does not show waypoints, I have now included it on the main page to show the similarities. For the most part, the two maps are fairly similar.

Klenke

Klenke - Jun 21, 2011 1:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Eric Noel's GPS map

I stand corrected. I misinterpreted Eric's map. The jog to the left where it says "old road" is correct for the easy way. This shows those old roads well: old satellite photo. "A" is the parking point. "B" is the end of the old spur where the trail cuts off into the woods (my red dashed line).

mvs

mvs - Apr 27, 2019 9:19 am - Voted 10/10

Link update

Hi! My snow-covered trail approach and climb from June 2002 link changed to: https://www.mountainwerks.org/cma/2002/gunn.html

Basically, just an "l" on the end and https now.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Gunn Peak' main page