Viewing: 1-2 of 2
BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 28, 2005 8:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Nice report. One of my best pals climbed Fuji some years back when he was living in Japan. His experience sounds similar to yours save for the fact that he took a little longer and actually tried to sleep at one of the huts, but the sound of tromping feet outside the hut just beyond the thin wooden walls beyond his skull kept him from getting any sleep at all. So he drank beer instead.

hmronnow

hmronnow - Oct 31, 2005 4:42 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sounds like you had a good time. The train station you went to is called Kawaguchiko. As a curiocity: In July I reached the summit within 12 hours of landing in Tokyo. I took regular trains and started hiking from Lake Kawaguchiko, which is at ~800m. (The fifth station, from where 97% start is at 2300m - halfway up the 3800m mountain.) The lower part is quite nice through slightly mysty forrest, had noodles in a small joint at the 1st station. Hiking/running from the lake took about 6 hours (the last 1h20 with cramps in both quads), summiting at sunset. Sleeping outside was very cold, but the sun-rise well worth waiting for. Going down, I had same experience as you at 5th station - a taxi arrived with two hikers, wanted some silly 10kyen for taking me back to the train station, but then realised he had to drive down anyway, and took me down for 540yen.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'HK Island to the top of Fuji in 15 hours' main page