I climbed the tower

I climbed the tower

Just for kicks.
McCannster
on Jan 26, 2008 8:59 pm
Image ID: 375864

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
marlonwarren

marlonwarren - Mar 3, 2008 4:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Spider Man!

no ropes!

cheers
marlon

hoboroadie - Nov 20, 2010 12:55 pm - Voted 8/10

I didn't!

Back in '78, My buddy Steve D_______ and I rode our "Boonie Bikes" up from Livermore, and we marveled at the radio shack/com tower on the peak there (I don't think it had been "discovered" yet, though Ma Bell had figured it out). We decided not to crawl over the barb wire and climb the tower, though it was discussed. As near as I can remember, there was only one tower then, with different antennas, and no wind generators. I reckon that's telephone transmission, don't know. We came up Holmes Avenue, past the water treatment plant, and snuck past the one occupied house with the barking dogs a couple miles up the ridge. I had some USGS maps from about 1915 that showed older roads that were just cow trails by the time we got there. At one point there was an old wooden roadsign showing mileage to points south, I recall 75 miles to Santa Cruz, &c., Pretty stylish, I wonder if that's still there? The first trip we got caught by a San Francisco Water Company guy as we were sneakin' out past San Antonio Reservoir; The second trip a couple N3 Cowboys caught us before we even made it to Rose Flat, and made us leave via Del Valle Road, a real PITA since we had all that camping gear and that was the LONG WAY out. They were pretty amazed to see a couple guys on bicycles, they followed our tire tracks about two miles before they found us. They gave us the old "What if we went in YOUR back yard" lecture, but weren't too upset; That was before the era of Mountain Bikes and the a__holes ruining it for everyone else. Now I guess you'd lose your bike and go to jail, especially if you got caught in the "Wilderness". I think it's a capricious and arbitrary exercise in prior restraint to prevent respectful people with smooth tires from riding on the graded roads that have been there for over 100 years, particularly since they're still RUNNING LIVESTOCK in the "Wilderness", but that's just, like, my opinion, man. One of the most beautiful memories of my life is waking up on a crisp clear January morning there on Walpe Ridge, climbing to the top of a pile of rocks and seeing the Peninsula, and the Pacific Ocean curving off one way, and the Sierras on the opposite horizon. Diablo blocks your view of Shasta & Lassen to the north, and Hamilton fills the south, but its a pretty big sky from up there.

McCannster

McCannster - Nov 21, 2010 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I didn't!

Great stories!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3