Jughandle Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
idpeakgirl

idpeakgirl - Aug 12, 2018 6:27 am Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2018

Northeast ridge

Nice little scramble along the ridgeline to the summit. If I was introducing someone to peakbagging, this would be a great peak to do it with, as it has all the qualities one expects: 360 degree views, boulder hopping, lakes below, prominence, just enough exposure, and more. We made a 3.75 hour hike out of it, lingering on the summit and taking time to enjoy the area.

adventuresoffinder - Jun 23, 2018 8:35 am Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2018

Fun Scramble!  Sucess!

We followed the wrong path and ended up bushwhacking but found the right way heading down. The ridge to the summit had some fun, blocky granite and very little snow up there. Then did some fishing! More details and GPS track at our website.

https://mountainflamingo.com/2018/06/18/2018-06-16-jughandle-mountain/

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jun 26, 2016 10:54 pm Date Climbed: Jun 25, 2016

Yup  Sucess!

Great bolfer hoping

TheWolfIsLoose

TheWolfIsLoose - Nov 10, 2015 6:07 pm Date Climbed: Nov 7, 2015

Beautiful Area

We gave it a shot over the weekend. There was much more snow than we had anticipated, and I nearly got my little Mazda 3 stuck on the way in because of it. This caused us to park about 1.2 miles from the Louie Lake Trailhead. The difficulties in reaching the trailhead, combined with a late start from Boise, led to us not getting moving until almost 11:30!

The hike was pretty uneventful until we reached Louie Lake, which was absolutely beautiful!! We decided to try tackling the northeast ridge for the ascent and the northwest ridge for the descent. There was snow the whole way, with the accumulations in the 6-8 inch range above 7,000 feet.

There had been someone breaking trail before us, but they had turned around before getting above tree line, so we had to improvise. We broke trail/bushwhacked until we got out of the trees. This is where we discovered some pretty lousy snow conditions.

We continued on for a bit, but it was already pushing for 2 pm. Moreover, we were sliding all over, and with me still recovering from a pretty serious surgery on my ankle back in January, we decided that going on wasn't worth risking any further injury. We stopped about 300 feet shy of the top.

Robron234

Robron234 - Jul 7, 2015 4:51 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2007

Jughandle Mountain  Sucess!

A day trip that Jon Oh and I took up to McCall area to summit Jughandle Peak. We first hiked up to Louie Lake (originally got a little lost but then found our way). It was cloudy most of the day. I ultimately summited, but Jon turned around due to rain. When I got to the top, it was windy/rainy/thunder. I was scared so I didn't stay long! On the way down, Jon almost lost his backpack over a cliff. Fun times!

joshuaray - Sep 4, 2012 12:02 am Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2012

Jughandle Mountain  Sucess!

Beautiful views of Valley County - McCall, Donnelly, Cascade, etc. Climbed with IdahoDaisy and we had a blast!

IdahoDaisy

IdahoDaisy - Sep 3, 2012 11:24 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2012

Jughandle from Louie  Sucess!

Hiked up with JoshuaRay from the south end of Louie Lake, cross country at first until we reached a trail at the first crest. Took us about an hour and 20 minutes. Nice hike with great views of the entire valley, several lakes, Seven Devils, etc.

benbusack

benbusack - Jun 4, 2012 12:13 am Date Climbed: Jun 3, 2012

Windy  Sucess!

Windy day on the hill. Took northwest ridge by following a pretty vague social trail from the lake. Idaho and Merican flag could use replacing at the peak if anyone is interested. Lots of prominence and great views to the east. I'll definitely be back.

boisedoc

boisedoc - Jun 17, 2009 11:41 am Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2009

quick hike  Sucess!

this makes for a very quick outing. The peak is more interesting than most peaks its height in the area as it sports a large cirque with very steep walls. I had planned to go up Rapid Pk and Buckhorn Mtn. as well but was slowed by snow and had to get back to Boise

Super Dave

Super Dave - Nov 9, 2008 2:06 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2007

Jughandle Loop  Sucess!

Climbed the northwest ridge then down the northeast ridge, fresh snow made for some interesting boulder hopping. Looped around to climb Boulder Mountain too. Here’s a trip-report and some photos.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Jughandle Mountain' main page