Kalymnos (Καλυμνος)

Kalymnos (Καλυμνος)

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.97623°N / 26.97693°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview and History

PothiaArrival at Pothia

Kalymnos is one of the Dodecanese islands in the Aegean Sea southeast of Athens and northwest of Rhodes.
The island was formerly ruled by the knights of St.John, who surrendered it in 1523 to the Turks of Suleman.
From 1912 to 1943 it was occupied by the Italians and 1945 by the Germans. After WW2 the island was formally included as part of the Greek state on March 7th, 1948.
20 to 25 years ago the island was a lucrative sponge producing center, and famous for its sponge divers, who could hold their breath underwater for nearly 5 minutes.
Since 1997/1998 it became well known to the climbing community because of it's excellent rock and mediterranean ambience, and because of several hard routes at big overhangs, which are only possible because of tufa structures and stalactites. Fotos of these were published in several magazines.


The Kalymnos Album

There is also the Kalymnos album page, which should become a collection of climbing and landscape fotos of the island. Feel free to add your own!
The best or most telling of them I will add to this area page at the respective sector.

Getting There

Though tourism to Greece was an important part of the economy at least since 1960, tourism was not very important at Kalymnos because of it's remote location and difficult reachability.
Meanwhile this has changed a little bit, people fly to the bigger neighbored island Kos, and take the ferry from Kos to Kalymnos (30 to 60 minutes), because there are many charterflights available from European capitals to Kos. From Kos airport you take a taxi to the port of Mastihari (15 minutes), and there you buy a ticket for the ferry.

Since May 2007 it is possible to fly in from Athens via waterplane, and there is also a small airport at Kalymnos, where small planes (national flights) from Athens arrive now daily.
However, my preferred way is to take the ferry from Kos, because I like the slow approach to the coast of Pothia, the islands biggest harbour, and the taxidrive afterwards to Panormos and the westcoast.

Climbing History

Kalymnos as a climbers island was kissed to life when the Italian Andrea di Bari arrived for his summer holidays in 1996. Seeing the excellent quality of the rock and the huge potential of the area he returned in May 1997 with some climbing friends to put up some routes.
In october of the same year he returned with Andrea Gallo, who took some fotos for the "ALP" magazine.

After publication in ALP and ROTPUNKT in the spring of 1999 more climbers arrived, and rules for the protection of new routes were set up. After 2000 many well known climbers of several countries appeared to set up new routes, or just came to climb some of the meanwhile famous difficult cave routes.

Visitors were e.g. Michel Piola, the Remy brothers, Dave Graham, Liv Sansoz, Francois Legrand, Hans Weninger, Manolo Zanolla, Simone Moro, Karin Kavoussi, Mirjam Verbeek, just to name a few. Jeff Achey, editor of the CLIMBING magazine, wrote a 10 page article about the island in CLIMBING no. 238.

General Climbing Information

Tufa PipesTufa pipes and excellent limestone

Rock type: Excellent limestone, often decorated with tufa pipes and sinter stalactites in all sizes. The hard routes often lead over giant overhangs (20 meters or more), which are only climbable because of the tufa and sinter structures.

Ropes: You need at least a 60m rope (most routes can be climbed with that), but a 70m rope is better, for some routes you even need 100m, e.g. at Sykati (look into the climbing guide).
Most routes are not accessible from above, because they end before the still vertical, but brittle and bushy part of the cliff. Therefore you should be able to lead the respective route difficulty, or have a climbing slave who does it for you. :-)
There are only a few multipitch routes (up to 5 pitches) until now, but they are really nice, and worth to give them a try! For some of these it's an advantage to climb with two 50m ropes, to have a fast and safe rappel after finishing the route.

Belays and protection: The top belays are mostly made of two bolts connected by a chain. There are usually enough bolts in the routes for protection, so you don't need nuts or cams. Distance between the bolts is different from sector to sector, but usually close enough for a confident leader.
I'm only aware of one trad route, but of course there are many more possibilities.
If you discover a loose bolt or a bad belay and are still able to talk about it afterwards, please visit Glaros Bar in Masouri, ask for Steve and tell him about that, so that it can be repaired.

The highest point of the island is Profitis Ilias (676m). You can hike easily to the summit either from village Vathis or from village Chorio.
There are also other nice hikes across the island. Though it's difficult to get lost, you should always carry enough to drink with you, because there are not many trees, and it can become very hot during the summer, but also in spring and autumn.
Be careful, if you hike at the east or especially northeast coast, the area is quite uninhabitated, and it's better not to go alone, just in case you have an accident.
The climbing sectors are mainly distributed along the westcoast, with some exceptions.

Litter: Please keep the wilderness and the climbing sectors as clean as they still are!
Take your waste out with you, don't even leave the remains of cigarettes out there, thanks!
I watched a climber who jammed his butts between the shoelaces of his climbing shoes and brought them back to town this way, a good idea.:-) But also an empty matchbox or something like that would do the job.

Route Grades and Grading System Comparison

Resting in TrelaTrela, 6c+

Climbing Grades: Please take into consideration, that the French grading system is used in Kalymnos, which is taking into account the difficulty of the moves and the length of the climb.
This differs from most grading systems where one rates a climbing route according to the most difficult section (or single move). For example the route "Trela" at sector Grande Grotta, which consists of 6b moves, deserves it's 6c+ rating according to the system, because of it's length and continued difficulty, which needs more engagement of the climber than other plain 6b routes.
Difficulty rating of the routes in the same sector is more or less consistent, so that if you expect a 6a, it will usually not be a 6c. Exceptions confirm the rule. :-)
However, ratings between different sectors can be sometimes surprising, because different sectors were often put up by different people from different countries, so allow a deviation of one french grade up or down (e.g. a 5c in one sector would be possibly rated 6a or even 6a+ in another sector).

Most routes (more than 400) exist from 6a(5.9) to 6c(5.11b), but there is still enough (more than 150) from 5a(5.6) to 5c(5.8), and from 7a(5.11c) to 7c(5.12d) (more than 200).
There are approximately 50 routes of 8a(5.13a) and above.
There are less than 40 routes below 5a(5.6), and many of them are not very nice, so you should be able to lead 5a(5.6) at least to have fun.

Grading System Comparison: Though there are lots of grade comparison tables on the net and in guide books, I prefer this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(climbing)
It may be disappointing for some climbers using the European UIAA system or the US YDS system, but I believe it is the closest comparison to reality.
However, because of the fine nuances in the different systems, which are more than compensated by route types and local conditions, use this only as a guideline:

Rock Climbing Rating Systems
French YDS
(USA)
UIAA
(Central Europe)
French YDS
(USA)
UIAA
(Central Europe)
French YDS
(USA)
UIAA
(Central Europe)
1 5.2 I 6b 5.10c VII- 7c+ 5.12d IX
2 5.3 II 6b+ 5.10d VII 8a 5.13a/5.13b IX+/X-
3 5.4 III 6c 5.11a VII+ 8a+ 5.13c X-
4 5.5 IV 6c+ 5.11b VII+/VIII- 8b 5.13d X
5a 5.6 V- 7a 5.11c VIII- 8b+ 5.14a X+
5b 5.7 V/V+ 7a+ 5.11d VIII 8c 5.14b X+/XI-
5c 5.8 VI- 7b 5.12a VIII+ 8c+ 5.14c XI-
6a 5.9 VI/VI+ 7b+ 5.12b VIII+/IX- 9a 5.14d XI
6a+ 5.10a/5.10b VI+/VII- 7c 5.12c IX- 9a+ 5.15a XI+


Sectors

For detailed descriptions and access to the sectors I strongly recommend to buy the excellent "Kalymnos Rock Climbing Guide", by Aris Theodoropoulos.
If you buy the guide directly in Kalymnos, e.g. in Masouri, it's very likely that you also get a list with the latest route updates for free (if one exists).

Remarks to my list below:
Please understand, that it is not my intention to keep this site up to date with the latest put up routes from yesterday. But because I'm once or twice every year in Kalymnos for some time, information will be not older than one year.
Current information here is from May 2007.
If you miss a new sector, just drop me a mail or a PN.

Important: The "to be happy" expression below describes, which grade you should be able to lead to have a satisfactory selection of routes in the respective sector, and some success, without returning home completely worn out and no route done at the end of the day.
I did it this way, because it doesn't help you, if I would just write "There are 30 routes between 4c and 8a in the sector", if there is only one 4c, one 5c, and the rest is 7a and above.
Styx
Access from Emporios.
Shade until noon. Slabby climbing on grey walls.
5 routes between 6b and 7a.

Francois Guillot
Access from Emporios.
Shade until noon. Vertical or slightly overhanging climbing on red rock.
19 routes from 5c to 7a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6b at least.

Kreissaal
Kreissaal, near EmporiosKreissaal

Access from Emporios.
Shade until 10h30. Climbing on very sharp rock (beware!) with horizontal ledges.
15 routes between 5a and 6b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least.
Routes are all nice, but from a comparable type. I recommend e.g. Ovulation, Supernanny or Embryo.

Kastri
Access from Emporios.
Shade until 1 pm. Slightly overhanging climbs on big pockets.
11 routes between 5a and 7a+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.
Here is one of the rare crack routes on Kalymnos: Kazonis.

Sophie
Access from Emporios.
Shade until noon. Slab climbing mostly.
7 routes between 5c and 7b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least.
Here is one of the rare crack dihedral routes on Kalymnos: Alessandro.

Sykati
Access from Palionnisos.
Shade nearly the whole day. Pumpy overhanging climbing between stalactites.
23 routes between 4a (cave exit only) and 8c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least. For many routes an 80m rope is necessary, for some, like "Jaws" and "Morgan Adam est une Andalouse" even a 100m rope.

Thalassa
Access from near Emporios.
Shade until 10am and very late in the afternoon. Vertical to slightly overhanging climbing.
8 routes between 4c+ and 7a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

Baby House
Access from near Emporios.
Shade until noon. Overhanging climbing on red or grey rock, often with big pockets, sometimes sharp holds.
19 routes between 5c and 7b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.
Here are also 2 of the rare crack routes on Kalymnos, but they are painful. There is also an interesting route along a big flake: Hello Baby-Yoyo.

Palace
The  palace windowPalace

Access from near Emporios.
Shade until noon. Amazing formations with holes and windows, but worse quality rock than in the most other sectors. Mostly overhanging climbing.
7 routes between 4c (one short 4c, not very rewarding) and 7b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least.
Interesting landscape.

Skalia Pillar
Access from Palionnisos.
Shade until noon. Rough grey and red rock with very sharp holds. Steep, sometimes vertical or slightly overhanging climbing.
13 routes between 5b and 7b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c to 6a. But there are some fantastic 6c routes! Many route names are very telling: "Fakir Plaisir", "Razor Edge" or "Sea, Sun and Pain".

Seaside Kitchen (Ghost Kitchen)
Access from Skalia.
Shade until 2pm, the western part until 4 pm. Slightly overhanging with stalactites, and great routes for the slab fanatics.
26 routes between 5b and 7b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6b at least. Rigani, a 3 pitch route, uses the full height of the cliff, but is sparsely bolted and needs a confident 6c leader! Other nice routes are e.g. Joy in the Garden, Resista, Myrthe or Supertotenhansel.

Cave
Access from Skalia.
Shade until noon. Slab climbing with sharp holds in the moderate part, pumpy moves in the overhanging area.
22 routes between 5a and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least.

Galatiani (Halkiti Cave)
Access approx. 1.5km after Arginonta.
Shade until 1 pm. Mostly overhanging climbing
26 routes between 4a and 8b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least. There is a 5 pitch route (Wendenexpress, 7a), where it is recommended to climb with two 50m ropes. Fancy routes are e.g. Sunrider, Vagina, Feuerdorn (not Feuerdon like in the lists) and Calcite Star.

Black Forest
Access from 1 km after Arginonta.
Shade until 10am and from late afternoon. Wall climbing with sharp holds.
8 routes between 5b and 7a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

Magic Wall
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Left and above Noufaro, not often visited.
10 routes between 5b+ (forget it) and 7b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least.
Here are also three 3-pitch routes (Grua: 7a, Rammstein: 7b+, Vouros: 7b+). You may also just climb their first pitches (Rammstein: 7a+, the other two: 6c), and there are also other nice 6c's there.

Noufaro
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Slab climbing mostly.
14 routes between 5a and 7c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least. I like them all (didn't climb twist, so I can't say anything about it), but recommend to try e.g. Rock'n'Roll, Rumba and Jive.

Belgian Chocolates
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Fantastic steep grey limestone for the slab freaks.
14 routes between 5a and 7b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least. Each slab route is tricky in it's own way. I liked most Ewa, Rock Shrimps and Sharp Things, but didn't climb all of the others to have a complete comparison.

Archi
Slab Routes in Sector ArhiArchi, near the route Kalymnian Cheese

Access from Arginonta.
Shade until 10am and in the late afternoon.
Overhangs with stalactites and easy slabs nearby. Because here are very interesting routes both for the hardmover and for the occasional climber, it is often crowded, also by posers, viewers, grandma's and babies. If you want to climb your project in peace, come at morning dawn or 2 hours before sunset.
59 routes between 4c and 9a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5b at least. Because of the many routes it would not be fair to mention some by name, but with one exception: Kalymnian Cheese (extension of Perseo) is a 3 pitch route, becoming more difficult the higher you climb (6a+,6b+,7a). It leads through the 3 characteristic caves, and a very impressive part is the narrow rock bridge close to the first cave. A helmet is a must, and take care of climbers below you, the rock is not as solid as you might think. It's best to climb with 2 60m ropes, to have a safe return by rappeling. Of course, if you are done after the cave pitch, you may leave the 7a pitch alone and may already return after the caves.

Balcony Helvetia
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Right above Archi, a sector with roofs, holes and an exposed feeling for well trained climbers only.
11 routes between 6b+ and 7c+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7a/7b at least, especially if you want to find out if a French Kiss or a Swiss Kiss tastes better.

Grey Zone
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Steep grey slab climbing.
7 routes between 5a and 6b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

Sea Breeze
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until 10am. Slab climbing.
16 routes between 4b and 6c+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5b at least. I liked Thalassopouli, a newer route between Hellas and Hera, but they are all somehow nice, though Charika Poli needs some traffic to become clean.

Amphitheatre and Katharina
Access from Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Overhanging tufa and sinter routes and easy short slabs for beginners.
4 routes in Amphitheatre between 5c+ and 7a, 15 routes in Katharina between 4b and 7c.
To be happy, you should be able to lead 4c at least, though there are very nice routes for the 5c climber. "Something different" is a very rewarding route for the 5c climber, and is really something different, I don't want to tell you more, come and see.
If you want something more difficult instead of different, I can recommend the new route Asche (6a+), or Adonibert (6a), or Firewall (7c, overhang in red rock).

Summertime, Ando Drom and Magoulias Wall
Access from the street approx. 500m before Arginonta.
Shade in the afternoon, after 1 pm. Slabs and vertical walls for beginners, wall climbing and short overhangs for the middle class.
While Summertime is often very crowded, you will often find a space at Ando Drom and Magoulias, because of the longer access and more difficult routes.
12 routes between 4a and 6b+ at summertime, 4 routes between 5c and 6c at Ando Drom, 7 routes between 6a+ and 7a at Magoulias wall. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least for summertime.

Kasteli and Apollo
Access from a parking lot approx. 2km after Masouri, on the street to Arginonta.
Shade until noon or early afternoon, depending on which side you climb. Many possibilities, often crowded because of the easy access and close distance to Masouri.
26 routes between 4a and 7b at Kasteli, 4 routes between 5c+ and 6b at Apollo. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least for Kasteli. There are many nice routes, I remember Pampachoum (6a+) and Pillar of the Sea (6a+).

Dolphin Bay
Dolphin BayDolphin Bay: climbing near the sea
Bright white limestone at dolphin bayIt's bright white limestone is different from most other sectors

Access from a parking lot approx. 2km after Masouri, on the street to Arginonta.
Shade until 10 am. Very close to the seashore, wall climbing in white, crystalline rock. If you climb the 5 leftmost routes (Too fat for tufas, Roufos, Lavraki, Smineri, Kavouras) take care of high waves on stormy days, and especially belay yourself before you belay your leader. There are some bolts at the base of the routes for that purpose, which are marked with colors, but experience shows that not everybody sees them or uses them. If your leader falls, you may be torn sideways into a gully with sharp rock above the sea, if you do not belay yourself.
13 routes between 5a and 6a+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least. All routes are great, especially because of the ambience near the sea.

North Cape
Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Steep wall and slab climbing, from the cave also overhangs.
14 routes between 5b and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

School
Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Slab training routes, good for courses. Sometimes crowded.
13 routes between 4a and 6a+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5b/5c at least. There are 3 multipitch routes, Oraia Stithi (4 pitches, 6a+), Kalymnos 2000 (5 pitches, 5c), and Platon (5 pitches, 5c). From the top of these routes there is a great view to the sea, the islands and over parts of Kalymnos you don't normally see.

Odyssey
Looking into LestrygonLestrygon, at sector Odyssey (6c, 5.11b)

Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until noon, or in some parts until 3 pm. Steep wall and slab climbing, near pumpy middle class routes through overhangs, and high end routes at cave roofs with tufa pipes and stalactites.
68 routes between 3c and 8c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least, though you will have more fun if you are in 6c. Some routes are already polished. The sector is also sometimes crowded, even more than Archi.

Ocean Dream
Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Steep wall and slab climbing.
13 routes between 4a and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

Olympic Wall
Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until noon. Overhanging tufa climbing.
6 routes between 6a and 8b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7c at least.

Iliada and Muses
Homer Vision, Sector IliadaHomer Vision at Iliada (5c+, 5.9)

Access from the street between Masouri and Arginonta.
Shade until 10 am, Muses until noon. Slabs, walls, overhangs, cave roofs, sharp holds. Something for everybody, but early sun and therefore soon hot.
36 routes between 4b and 7c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least, at Muses 6b/6c. Some very nice and/or photogenic routes are e.g. Homer Vision (5c+), Beautiful Helen (6a+), Antilohos (5c), Thetida (7c), and last, but not least, Iliada (6c+).

Jurassic Park
Access from Masouri.
Shade until 11 am or 3 pm, dependent on the side of the sector. Overhangs with holes and tufa pipes.
9 routes between 6b and 8b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7b at least.

Spartacus
Daniboy at SpartacusDaniboy at Spartacus, (8a, 5.13b)

Access from Masouri.
Shade until late afternoon. Overhangs with holes and tufa pipes.
28 routes between 6a and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6b/6c at least. Interesting routes are all, but to name a few: Harakiri (6b, a little bit polished), Daniboy (8a) or Les Amazones (6c, a must for feminists!) :-)

Spartan Wall and Afternoon
Slab Climbing at sector AfternoonSector Afternoon

Access from Masouri.
Shade until 2 pm. Spartan Wall has 7 routes for the experts (7b+ to 9a).
Don't know what you need to be happy there, because I'm no expert. :-)
Afternoon has 20 routes between 4a and 7b+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least, though there are some great 6a routes.

Grande Grotta and Panorama
Outlook from Grande Grotta to MasouriView from Grande Grotta to Masouri
Monika pumping out the last meters of DNALast meters of route DNA (7a+, 5.11d)

Access from Masouri.
Shade until 2 or 3 pm in Grande Grotta, until 1 pm in Panorama. Overhangs with holes, tufa pipes and big stalactites in Grande Grotta. The stalactites sometimes offer bizarre no hand rests in the middle of an extreme overhang, some can be even used as chair. If you belay, or even already when you enter Grande Grotta, take care that nobody climbs above you, because if a stalactite snaps, some 100 pounds of stone may fall on your head, which has proven not to be healthy.
15 routes between 6a+ and 8a+ at Grande Grotta. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7a at least.
39 routes between 6a and 8a+ at Panorama (one 4c). To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least.

Stankill
Access from Masouri.
Shade until 1 pm. Sharp grey and red rock in a cliff gorge.
13 routes between 4a and 7c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c or even better 6b at least.

Ivory Tower and Kalydna
Access from Masouri.
Shade until 2 pm. Slab and tufa climbing.
Ivory Tower is left of Kalydna and has 7 routes between 6b+ and 8a.
Kalydna has 20 routes between 6a+ and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least. Kalydna has the meanwhile famous route Aurora (8a) by Neil Gresham.

Iannis and Poets
Access from Masouri.
Shade until 3 pm at Iannis, until noon at Poets. Iannis offers overhangs with stalactites, Poets has mostly slab climbing.
9 routes between 6a and 8b+ at Iannis. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7a at least.
30 routes between 5a and 7a+ at Poets. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a/6b at least.

White Shark and Zeus
Access from Masouri.
Shade until noon. Vertical walls.
White shark is just a rock fin with a 7a route, Zeus has 12 routes between 4a and 7b. If you lead 4c, you have 4 routes, the rest starts with 6a+.

Yerakios
Access from the street from Myrties to Masouri.
Shade until noon. Slab climbing.
3 routes (6a, 5c, and 6a+) and one trad route ("The English Way", 175m).

Mystery and Ourania
Access from Kamari.
Shade until 1 pm. Vertical or slightly overhanging climbing.
12 routes between 5c and 7b at Mystery. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6c at least.
5 routes between 6b+ and 8a at Ourania. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7b at least.

Syblegades Rocks
Access from Kamari.
Shady nearly the whole day, you can wander with the sun. The limestone has a lot of little holes, routes are vertical to slightly overhanging.
28 routes between 5b+ and 7a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least, 6a is a lot better. Some of the routes are fancy, e.g. Valerie&Thomas (inspect the crack at the beginning).

Austrians
Access from Kantouni.
Shady until 4 pm. Overhanging climbing.
10 routes between 6a+ and 8a. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6b/6c at least. There are also 4 boulder routes from 6a to 7b.

Mantra, Monastery and Saint Photis
Access from Kantouni.
Shady until noon. Slabs and Walls
43 routes between 4c and 7c+. To be happy, you should be able to lead 6a at least.

Prophet Elias
Access from Hora.
Shady until noon.
7 routes between 5c and 7b. To be happy, you should be able to lead 7a, I would say.

Dodoni
Access from Hora.
Shady until 1 pm.
13 routes between 5a and 6c. To be happy, you should be able to lead 5c at least.

Other sectors at Vlyhadia and Vathi
Only a few routes until now, a bit tricky to reach. See the guidebook for details.

Sectors at Telendos Island
Telendos seen from Grande GrottaTelendos island

Telendos can be easily reached by boat from village Myrties in 15 minutes. There are some nice sectors, and a 5 pitch route of grade 6b+ (Telendos Northface).
See the guidebook for details.



Accomodation, Camping

There is no organized campsite, and free camping is strictly forbidden on the island, and you can get in trouble if you are caught.

My opinion is, that it is not necessary to camp, because if you can afford a flight to the island, you should also be able to afford at least a small room with or without breakfast at one of the friendly families where rooms can be rent.
Enjoy the nice atmosphere and the friendlyness and hospitality of the locals!
Look at one of the links below to search for a room.

External Links

The ultimate Kalymnos homepage (with sublinks for accommodation):
http://www.kalymnos-isl.gr/portal/en/index.php

Homepage of "climbers nest", a small climbing shop in Armeos/Masouri, where you can share information or look for partners on a message board (also with a link collection for accommodation):
http://www.climbers-nest.com/e-index.php

The climbers section of the Kalymnos homepage:
http://www.kalymnos-isl.gr/portal/en/climb/

The homepage of the Kalymnos climbing guide (though the page is Greek, the guide itself is Greek and English):
http://www.oreivatein.com/oreivatein/climb/kalymnos/guide2006.htm

A German travelguide on the Web:
http://www.griechenland.de/Griechenland,Dodekanes,Kalymnos,REISEFUEHRER


Books

Kalymnos Rock Climbing Guide 2006
ISBN 9608564484
by Aris Theodoropoulos
At best buy it directly at Kalymnos, either at above mentioned "climbers nest" or in the "Wild Sport Shop" in the basement of the plaza hotel, both locations in Masouri.
It has not only a detailed beta of the sectors, but also very good information about when to climb at which sector, other possible activities, and important information about the island, like restaurants, important addresses and phonenumbers.

Kos, Nisyros, Kalymnos, Leros, Patmos, Halicarnassus
ISBN 960277049X
by Antoinette Kalleya-Gad
Travel guide

Walks in Kalymnos
by Marengo publications
Hiking guide

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Nikolas_A

Nikolas_A - Apr 16, 2012 5:02 am - Hasn't voted

Guidebook

The guidebook has reached the 2010 edition. This forum is more active. Also two good maps for Kalymnos from Anavasi maps (you can also get the GB here) and Terrain maps

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.