Koula - East Rodopi

Koula - East Rodopi

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.36000°N / 24.78470°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5997 ft / 1828 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Koula mountain is a part of East Rodopi mountain range. Rodpi mountain is long mountain range that is located in Greece and Bulgaria, full of forests with a lot of kinds of trees and wild life. The highest peak of Koula is Gyftokastro and is located in the Greek/Bulgarian border. You can reach Gyftokastro from both sides because it a very easy walking peak. The highest peaks of Koula mountain are Gyftokastro 1828m, Koula peak 1607m, Thermo 1619m, Antalofos or Erymathos 1569m, Chaidou 1617m, Gerania. All peaks of the mountain trekking peaks, and dosen’t need any technical skill. The area of the mountain is 200 Square-Km full of forests. You can visit all the mountain area by jeep because there are a huge network of roads in the forest. In the area you can find brown bears and wild boars.
On the middle of the way from Leivaditis village to Dasiko Chorio the are a cross road left that is going to Leivaditis Waterfall. Koula mountain is famous for the 35 meter waterfall. Thaere is a well made path that is guide after 30 minutes to Leivaditis waterfall.
East Rodopi - Koula
Peaks
Altitude (m)
Gyftokastro
1828
Dichala
1745
Thermo
1619
Chaidou
1617
Koula
1607
Erymanthos or Antalofos
1569
Gerania
1548
Petra
1525
Mavri Petra
1588
Mallia
1699

Getting There


Xanthi is the nearest city to Koula mountain, and is about 50 Km far. Driving to the national road for Xanthi to Drama turn right after 32 Km, the road to Kariofyto and Leivaditis villages. First cross Kariofyto village and after 10 Km arrive to Leivaditis. Leivaditis is a small village where leave about 10 people. Here there is the refuge of the Mountaineering Club of Xanthi with 34 beds. To reach path’s start point, you have to drive 8Km more and reaching Dasiko Chorio area (Forest Village). From Dasiko Chorio you have to walk about 4 Km on the small road where you will meet the path’s start point. The path to the summit Gyfokastro is follow the smooth ridge, and it is signed by red color point.

Red Tape


There are no permits to climb mountain Koula. After the year 2000 there are is no police and army on the Greek-Bulgarian borders, such it is free to enter into the Koula mountain area.

When To Climb


All the year is easy to climb Koula mountain, but the best climbing months are from April to October. There is not avalanches problems in winter since there aren’t steeps slopes. Crampons and ice-axe are always useless. Basic trekking clothes and good trekking boots to explore Koula mountain.

Camping


There are no campings in the area, but ony the refuge of the Alpine Club of Xanthi in Leivaditis village (Alpine Club of Xanthi). There is no camping fee; you can camp everywhere with out security problems.

Mountain Conditions


Poseidon forecast system gives weather conditions covering all Greece. Poseidon is available here POSEIDON


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.