LABYRINTH CANYON, Green River, Utah

LABYRINTH CANYON, Green River, Utah

Page Type Page Type: Album
Bleh.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Scott

Scott - Jun 4, 2007 6:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Suggestions and minor corrections: River running page

Here are a few things that may help you out a bit. Think of them as helpful hints rather than anything negative. Just some hints.

Minor corrections:

(West Side) THREE CANYONS, a spot where three box canyons all mouth at the same place.

Actually, Three Canyon is named for Tri-Alcove Bend or Trin-Alcove bend. At the river, there are actually two canyons (rather than three canyons), but three alcoves, thus the name. Two more canyons come in from the north a ways up Three Canyon, making four in the complex.

(East Side) TEN MILE CANYON. One must go 10 miles up the canyon before you can get on top.

Actually you can get on top of the rim much sooner than 10 miles. There are several routes. Unfortuantely the main fork of Tenmile Canyon is being trashed by ATV’s.

(West Side) KEG SPRING CANYON - TRAIL OUT.

Well, sort of. It’s a heck of a bushwhack to one of several trails out the fork. In the upper canyon there are at least three trails out, but it’s a lot of effort to get there from the river. The best way to the rim and the route out is just north of Keg Springs Canyon. The little drainage is known as Wolverton Canyon, but is officially un-named. The short drainage has an old trail up to the rim.

A trip through Labyrinth Canyon on the lower Green River can be enjoyed almost any time of the year, except in winter when there is ice on the river. It is an easy, flat-water stretch suitable for canoes, kayaks, and rafts of all types. The heaviest use is between Easter and Labor Day.

Good, but make sure to mention the Friendship Cruise. That’s when hundreds of people run through this canyon in motorboats on Memorial Day weekend. Make sure to warn everyone to avoid Memorial Day weekend.

Suggestion:

Simply put, as it stands, this is strictly a river running page in its current form. Although I am an avid river runner (and like this one even though flat water-the scenery is great), keep in mind that some of the purist on the site will frown on a river running page on SP.

Try to add more emphasis on climbing and hiking routes. This river run in full of them. The “boating part” can be used as the “Getting There” section to hikes and climbs. Therefore, it will become a climbing and hiking page with an interesting “Getting There” section.

Many, many excellent hikes and climbs exist along the river. Since you took four days to run, I assume you have done many of them. Maybe add several as detailed route pages.

andesadam

andesadam - Jun 4, 2007 9:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Suggestions and minor corrections: River running page

Thanks for the advice; I'll add more hiking info....and warn about the Friendship Cruise. As for the "Things To See" section, it comes directly from the Utah BLM website. I reference the website under the "External Links" section if you want to check it out. I'll revise according to some of your "insider" info.

Thanks again for your input!

Scott

Scott - Jun 11, 2007 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Suggestions and minor corrections: River running page

As for the "Things To See" section, it comes directly from the Utah BLM website

Yep, you can't always trust that the BLM info is 100% accurate when it comes to hiking info. Also, make sure to put a credit on the page for anything cut and pasted from the BLM.


ozarkmac

ozarkmac - Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

re: when to go

I would add: Floating in the spring-early summer generally means higher, faster water, fewer sandbars to camp on, and more bugs. Later in the year there are fewer bugs, slower water and more sandbars.

Scott

Scott - Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm - Hasn't voted

1/10

This page is almost entirely a cut and page job off the BLM website with no credits given.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5