Laila Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
BigLee

BigLee - Mar 14, 2006 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

First summit of Laila Peak

The first ascent of Laila Peak (aka Leyla Peak) was made by Simon Yates, Mark Miller and Sean Smith in the late 1980's. They reckoned the mountain's height to be around 6300m which is the height generally accepted by most. They also climbed nearby Nemeka (6400m). For further reading on this expedition consider buying 'The Flame of Adventure', written by Simon Yates.

aaporik

aaporik - Mar 14, 2006 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: First summit of Laila Peak

Dear BigLee, Thanks for the information. It is hard to buy such unique books in Pakistan. But any how I will try to find it in Pakistan. Simon Yates and Mark Miller and both my close friends. I have been with Mark Miller several time and I was in touch with her girl friend after his death in Nepal. He was a wounderful guy and great climber. You remind me old memories of mine. Thanks for the info I will soon update this.

Corax

Corax - Jan 3, 2007 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Laila

Wow!
The page is very nice now.
Fredrik and Jörgen were about 120-140m from the summit when they encountered really bad snow and ice conditions. Fredrik told me, they would have had problems reaching the summit at all and to ski down the top part had been suicidal. They therefore turned back close to the summit, skied down and went to Gasherbrum II instead.
They summited and skied GII successfully.

BigLee

BigLee - Jan 3, 2007 9:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Laila

Thanks. Updated the page. Thought that no one climbed GII in 2005 but was wrong.

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 3, 2007 6:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Laila

Hmmmm... Nope I'm thinking of K2 not GII that didn't get climbed in 2005.

Afzal

Afzal - Jul 22, 2007 6:11 am - Voted 10/10

Elevation: 20341 ft / 6200 m

The actual elevation of Laila Peak is : 20000 ft / 6096 m.


BigLee

BigLee - Jul 22, 2007 7:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Elevation: 20341 ft / 6200 m

The British quartet measured the peak to be around 6300m, the Italians who climbed the peak in '96 measured it to be 6200m. I've heard the figure of 6096m quoted as well but I'm not sure of the original source. I've quoted the Italian figure as it's in the middle of the readings.

Afzal

Afzal - Jan 17, 2009 10:55 am - Voted 10/10

De-Briefing!

You have mentioned that "One member must attend a mandatory briefing and debriefing at the Ministry of Tourism in Islamabad although many skip the debriefing". I am a tour operator and I know that no body can leave the Pakistan without de-briefing at Ministry of Tourism Islamabad. In some case there may be some relaxation (not for all) to those trekkers who have to go back their countries through Khunjerab pass via China, subject to prior approval from Ministry of Tourism, Islamabad on the event of briefing. The briefing & de-briefing are mandatory and all trekker have to attend the mandatory briefing and de-briefing.

BigLee

BigLee - Jan 18, 2009 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: De-Briefing!

No problem, I'll update when I get a moment as I know that by not attending the briefing it reflects badly on the respective guide(s).

Afzal

Afzal - Jan 19, 2009 6:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: De-Briefing!

Thanks.

richardh - Feb 26, 2013 7:27 am - Voted 9/10

winter ascent

José Fernandez and Alex Txikon have made a winter ascent of Laila Peak - see
http://www.himalayamasala.com/ascents/laila-peak-west-face-2013

BTW, 6096m is now being quoted fairly widely as if it's the accepted height, but on Google Earth it looks as it it's 6200m or even a bit more.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Laila Peak' main page