lion-skull1

lion-skull1

Mountain lion skull found N of Bonanza Peak. The skulls are fairly small (8" long), even for adults, and are distinguished in part by the "keel" on the top of the skull. Can one edit photo captions years after?
MoapaPk
on Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 199557

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
cp0915

cp0915 - Jun 12, 2006 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

No!

Tell me you didn't go back without me?!?!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 13, 2006 11:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No!

That's an old pic. I can give you a GPS with the approximate route we took that day, but we were in the shadow of a mt, not getting the best satellite fix. I wish I'd marked a waypoint.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - May 4, 2007 1:33 am - Voted 10/10

Wouldn't want to run...

into one of those things while it was alive!

Dan

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 13, 2007 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Amazing skull...!

MoapaPk: I'd like to complement you on your amazing discovery. Sounds like you use GPS quite a bit. That's great. The only time I had seen a LIVE mountain lion was in southern Arizona back in 1994, when I was a member of a NPS trail crew working in the Rincon Mtns. HEY, GREAT FIND! Did you hear about what climbers recently found on the north side of Mount Mendal in the Sierra Nevada? THANKS !!!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing skull...!

I didn't hear....

That's the second mt lion skull I've found; the other was on Bosque Peak S of Albuquerque, NM. The only Mt Lion I've "seen" in the wild was a tawny flash across our campsite. S/he expresses great displeasure that night, with a most incessant wailing/hissing sound.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Sorry to keep you hanging...

An AT-7 (military plane) out of Sacramento crashed 300-ft. below the summit of Mt. Mendal in Nov. 1942 - the body of another lost airmen was found there this past summer. Still had his parachute on.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6