Viewing: 1-4 of 4
injektilo

injektilo - Jun 24, 2006 11:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

Thanks for the vote! I'm going to be heading to Moosehead Lake this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to add a nice pic for the Moosehead region.

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm - Voted 10/10

boundaries

Hey, this is a great page. I grew up just across the border in NH and have to admit I've never heard of the Longfellows before. But I wonder what the boundaries of the range really are? The Greens in VT are pretty well bounded by natural features. It seems like arbitrarily setting the Whites/Longfellows as the state border doesn't make much sense. I've always lumped the Mahoosucs in with the Whites, but perhaps they are really Longfellows and the Whites are bounded by the Androscoggin River. By that metric, I grew up in the Longfellow Mountains. Weird! Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one.

injektilo

injektilo - Jul 11, 2006 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: boundaries

I was waiting for this comment... I'm not sure there is a clear answer. Maybe Grafton Notch is the boundary... Old Speck being the end of the Mahoosucs and Baldpate the start of the Longfellows?? Lumping the Mahoosucs in with the Whites seems to be the norm.

Maybe it's a matter of physical boundaries versus political boundaries. I guess I'm using a political boundary to define the range based on the 1959 resolution (versus using a physical boundary i.e. Grafton Notch). I don't think I have an answer but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for checking out the page.

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 11, 2006 3:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: boundaries

Sounds like we're pretty much on the same page. If you go by guidebook, the Mahoosucs live in the Whites. But I don't know if there is a Longfellows guide. In the long run, it doesn't really matter as there are like four people on all of SP who have been there as far as I can tell ;-)

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Longfellow Mountains' main page