Mae West Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

KarenF - Mar 4, 2024 4:23 pm Date Climbed: Feb 29, 2024

A new road shortens the route  Sucess!

There was a fire that came through here within the last few years. Most of the prickly pear cactus noted by previous hikers was burned down by the fire and no longer hinders the route. It's pretty much just steep open country. There is a newish road cut into the mountain side that my friend and I used for our descent on our loop hike. You could also use the road to do an out-and-back route. The taller of the two Mae West Peaks used to be named Lime Peak but on February 8, 1980 it was renamed Mae West Peak. The name Lime Peak was reassigned on the same date to a different peak, about 2 miles to the northeast. The second Mae West Peak is about ¼ mile behind the larger peak. From the Mae Wests you can easily see Lime Peak in the distance. 

mstender

mstender - Mar 20, 2018 10:17 pm Date Climbed: Mar 20, 2018

Tough little peak  Sucess!

Despite the fairly short distance this peak is pretty tough due to some brush down low, lots of prickly pear and agave higher on the ridge and lots of loose rock everywhere. The roads in were pretty good though. Good views from the summit at many prominent AZ peaks.

Dartmouth Hiker

Dartmouth Hiker - Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm Date Climbed: Dec 21, 2010

Pokey  Sucess!

Climbed with Scott Peavy to ring in the start of winter. Nasty brush and dense prickly pear down low, easier going higher up. Took the middle ridge up to the main ridge, which we followed north to the base of the summit. We discovered a nice, mildly exposed class 2ish weakness in the cliffs, easily reached by traversing a short ledge or two just W of the southernmost part of the cliffs. Nice views on top for my 26th AZ prom peak and 62nd overall.

Descent was mostly uneventful, with limited success trying to follow gullies down. Interesting little SE AZ desert peak, but I don't think I'll be back...

surgent

surgent - Nov 9, 2010 11:00 am Date Climbed: Nov 6, 2010

Third time the charm  Sucess!

Took three tries, but got this peak finally. Rough little hike.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Mae West Peak' main page