McGown Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
tommyluke

tommyluke - Jul 16, 2012 11:32 am - Voted 9/10

Webcam link

Is out of date, try this one:
http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/

tommyluke

tommyluke - Jun 16, 2013 2:35 pm - Voted 9/10

No Parking Fee

Parking Fees are no longer in effect.

Idaho Wanderer

Idaho Wanderer - Jun 29, 2014 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Lost Trail

I tried following the route above, but once Alpine Way Trail reached Stanley Lake Creek, I completely lost the trail, with no way to cross. I did eventually find a (unsafe) way to cross, but it was nowhere near any trail. The area near the creek is too overgrown for enjoyable bushwacking. I recommend staying on Stanley Lake Creek Trail past Lady Face Falls, and on up to the west of McGown Peak before breaking off for the ascent. Note: this route will require at least one stream crossing, though the water isn't deep here, so bring sandals.

georgerinNH - Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am - Hasn't voted

Sept. 2018 Trip Report

Followed standard route from Stanley Lake Inlet to Alpine Way Trail. Alpine Way Trail was easy to follow. Two stream crossings which didn't require me to get my feet wet, but likely would be more challenging earlier in the season. As you approach the saddle, look to your right for the climbers trail that is located about 25-50 steps below the saddle. There is a lot of blow down in this area that obscures the climbers trail, but look for an unnatural pile of logs/sticks marking the trail. If you miss it and make it to the top of the saddle, just head straight up the ridge and you'll eventually cross the trail. The climbers trail becomes harder and harder to follow the higher you get, but just keep heading up along the small stream. I went all the way to the main lake at the base of the cirque and then went straight up the scree to gain the ridge, and then traversed just below the ridge to the summit. I recommend a pair of leather gloves for the walk/slide down, as the decomposed granite will chew your hands up if you fall.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'McGown Peak' main page