Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Question....

Very interesting page, Sam!

The mountain list raises an issue I've wondered about ever since the Missions page went up: Should it be "Mission Range," or "Mission Mountains?" I've seen it shown both ways, and when working on the page had to make a decision, so went with "Mission Range"-- but have never been sure that was the best choice (or maybe it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, and either would be okay). What's your opinion?

--Vernon

samh

samh - Sep 18, 2008 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Range vs. Mountains

According to the document I based the page on (from the mt.gov Web site) I opted for Mission Mountains. The document however had a disclaimer at the top saying to some degree that there is no official list of ranges in Montana, nor official boundaries. This may lead one to believe that the names are less official as well. The state refers to them as the Mission Mountains on this map (PDF) and the USFS refers to them as the Mission Mountains on this Web site.

All that being said, Summit Post has adopted the terms Areas and Ranges as the defacto range delineator. That is arguably a good rationale for naming them the Mission Range.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 23, 2008 9:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks...

...for making this page, Sam.

Just to let you know, there is a page for the Sawtooth Range: http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/429738/the-sawtooth-range.html.

samh

samh - Sep 30, 2008 12:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Edited

Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I added the link. Hopefully people will alert me when new stuff gets added. I try to stay on top of all the Montana stuff on Summit Post but I'm sure I'll miss things from time to time.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Montana Ranges' main page