Monte Circeo

Monte Circeo

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.23039°N / 13.06775°E
Additional Information Elevation: 1775 ft / 541 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Circeo or Circeo Cape is a mountain remaining as a promontory, located on the Tyrrhenian coast, in the center of Italy, with the highest point at 541 m., just behind the sea.
Monte Circeo
From the summit, fantastic view on both sides with two gulfs. It is part of the National Park of Circeo, that takes the name from it.

History

The hill has different traces of ancient settlements and some caves. The Guattari Cave (access with special permit) is particulary important due to the discovery of one of the earliest fossil of Neanderthal man, in 1939. The origin of the name has naturally been connected with the legend of Circe, the legendary sorceress described in Homer's Odyssey.
Mount Circeo
Here arrived Odysseus and was victim of the magic of Circe, whose profile is still seen in the shape of the mountain.

Getting There

Routes

At the South end of the road near the sea of Sabaudia starts the way to Monte Circeo (signpost) . It goes near Paola Tower ( not accessibile) and then into the woods. After approx. 15' there's a path on the right that goes upward steep into the woods. The frequently wet soil can make it not easy to go up, but the direction is always quite clear thanks also to the signs on the trees. Slowly the path goes up and on the right with some easy steps on short rocky passages. The way arrives on the ridge, with beautifull views on the coast below. On the right, wide view on the Tyrrhenian sea and the Ponziane islands and then the path reaches a first peak (418 m., Picco d'Istria).
From the top of Mount Circeo
After a short descent, the way goes up with some short climbs (I degree) near the Precipizio (the Precipice), a big limestone wall that goes down on the sea, with interesting climbing routes. After a another plain passage, on the left there's the way of descent (493 m.) and in 15' we arrive on the summit of Monte Circeo ( 541 m., 1.45 h) Exceptional view from the summit. Descenting, take the path down on the right that was encountered on the ascent. Very steep way down to the road, taking in on the left will arrive back to the starting point.