Viewing: 1-5 of 5
PAROFES

PAROFES - Oct 28, 2012 8:42 am - Voted 10/10

Love those

Psychological discussions about mountaineering and how this factor drives us to do the most different kind of things.
After all, this is an essentially egocentric/selfish sport.
Good reading, I'll be waiting for the second part.

bedellympian

bedellympian - Oct 29, 2012 9:26 pm - Hasn't voted

over analysis

I'm pretty sure xkcd was poking fun at the wealthy guide-hiring summit baggers and not mountaineers and alpine climbers in general. The Mallory quote is so over-used, mostly out of context. It has become a lame excuse for people seeking to fill their mountain trophy case. This sport is full of people trying to look good and I am happy to see popular internet media poking fun at them.

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Oct 29, 2012 11:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: over analysis

Agreed, Munroe was not seriously attacking mountaineering, in fact i think the general philosophy of the comic supports what I'm trying to say. And in my defense, his comment was not the actual starting point for this essay, I inserted it later as a way of tying everything together.

bedellympian

bedellympian - Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: over analysis

Ah, ok that makes more sense. It did seem kind of separate from everything else. It was a well thought out piece and I didn't mean to attack it, just defending our right to poke fun at people with their noses up.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 7, 2012 9:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Thought Provoking

An enjoyable read. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'More Poetic Than Arbitrary – Destination, Return, and Achievement in Mountaineering [Part 1]' main page