Mount Blackburn Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

rappjj - Jun 14, 2017 12:33 am Date Climbed: Jun 8, 2017

Blackburn 2017  Sucess!

10 day trip led by guides from SEAG. 5 total people, 4 Americans 1 Dutch. Very challenging conditions with very deep snow. Waited out a storm at 9800 camp for 3 days and about 60in of snow. As a result, it took us three days to ascend the ridge from 9800 to 12,400. Summit day had strong winds and low visibility but weather improved throughout the day. Last day of the trip was one of the best days and allowed a full descent of the ridge from 12,400 all the way to the glacier 7200.

stevec - Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm Date Climbed: Apr 17, 2004

mount blackburn  Sucess!

climbed the north ridge back in the day..prob first British ascent but then who cares :) flew onto glacier for $$$... but saved walking through green stuff. 8 days in a tent in whiteout snow. 5 days climbing... in the end did it in 2days from basecamp and got the hell out of there

Zhenya77

Zhenya77 - Jun 9, 2008 4:14 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2005

Mount Blackburn

Mt Blackburn is the highest mountain the Wrangler-St Elias NP. We drove from Ancourage to McCarthy overnight. After hiking trough the old mine near Kennicott we made our way through the Kennicot glacier. The traverse was pleasant and soon we reached the Pack Saddle Island. From there, you can find a numerous bush walking elements. It took us two days to get to the beginning of the Kennicott Glacier blocked by a gigantic siracks. We where running out of time and had to turn back, but the backpacking route was great. This is a truly remote area with a lot of interesting ice formations. Allow yourself enough time for the complete round trip. On the way back we did some variations in order to alter the route. The reward was some ice caves with artistically formed meanders.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Mount Blackburn' main page