Mount Davis Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Scott

Scott - Jan 26, 2024 8:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Not the highest point in Pennsylvania

It has been discovered using LiDAR that Mount Davis is not the highest point in Pennsylvania. It is to the north and here:

https://www.listsofjohn.com/mobile/peak/218278

That point is also much more difficult to reach and is said to be a hands on your knees bushwhack.

See this trip report:

https://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/TripReport.php?Id=24574&pkid=218278

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 28, 2024 7:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Not the highest point in Pennsylvania

Thanks Scott. I made a note. I wonder when this will be made official - and beyond that - when the State of Pennsylvania will modify the park to enable better access from the new summit.

Scott

Scott - Jan 29, 2024 8:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Not the highest point in Pennsylvania

As far as on the official maps, maybe never. The USGS has known for many years that some of their elevations are in error on the topo maps, but even when it is known it has gone many decades without the correction. Some errors have been known at least since the 1980s. Mountain summit elevations just aren't a priority for the USGS.


I have no idea about having the point made more accessible.

Of note, Pennsylvania isn't the only state where the high mountains moved. Oklahoma has too. I was there (Black Mesa) and went to the new highpoint, but it's so flat up there I can see why even a surveyor would have a hard time finding the highest point.

Delaware has moved too (I have no desire to go there, but for those that do), but I think this was known even before LiDAR.

in Michigan Mt. Arvon and Mt. Curwood both came out at 1,979'. It is unknown which one is higher and either one could be. Apparently they are within inches of each other.

Kings Peak has no LiDAR coverage yet, but it is interesting to note that before 1966 all maps and surveys showed that South Kings Peak was higher. There is a remote chance (but certainly not zero) that South Kings is higher, but that remains to be seen. It probably isn't, but it's possible.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Mount Davis' main page