Mount Garfield Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
seano

seano - Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm Date Climbed: Oct 10, 2017

West Grenadiers  Sucess!

Along with Electric, Point Pun, and Graystone. The Garfield-Graystone ridge was fun; the rest was awful loose talus. A bit over 12 hours car-to-car from Molas Pass. Trip report.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2009

West Grenadier Sweep  Sucess!

1st: 8/9/09 - Climbed this one with Jamie between Electric and Graystone, while a little bit "out of the way" from the rest of the peaks accessed from Vestal Basin, this was well worth the trip. Garfield Lake is spectacular, perfect blue water and deep! We found a nice grass and talus gully to gain the ridge and then some fun class 3 scrambling with route finding and a minor class 4 step or two to gain the summit. The view down the Animas gorge was stunning, over 4000 feet down!
2nd: 9/11/21 - With Scot, also climbed Graystone.

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Aug 10, 2009 11:20 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2009

western grenadiers loop  Sucess!

middle peak of the electric-garfield-graystone loop. challenging, meticulous scrambling on this obscure peak's south ridge over drop dead beautiful garfield lake gave it quite the wilderness feel. what a peak, what an area!

jamie

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Mar 29, 2008 12:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2007

South Ridge, combo with Electric, Point Pun & Graystone  Sucess!

After backpacking in to Vestal Basin from Molas TH, this was our first hike and it was a long one! Garfield is a fun scramble with great views. Saw a D&S train go by thousands of feet below while on the summit. Luckily there were no thunderstorms that day, a rare occurance this time of year. By the end, I never wanted to see another piece of talus!

RyanS

RyanS - Oct 11, 2004 1:13 am

Route Climbed: South Ridge Date Climbed: July 5, 2004  Sucess!

I preferred the climb of Mount Garfield to Arrow and Vestal's standard routes, which is ironic since those key Grenadiers were the impetus for our trip. Total solitude, a fun ridge climb, and a trip to two isolated basins made this a very rewarding day. Our friend went on to summit Point Pun and Graystone Peak, but Erin and I were aiming to have some gas left in the tank for the next two days of climbing. But now I look back and think we should have just sucked it up and climbed Graystone!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount Garfield' main page