Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 4, 2008
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Why Mt. Hansen?

The whole affair began with a mistake. I had some old USGS maps on a disk. I was looking for something and opened the wrong file. Just as I was closing I noticed "Mt. Hansen" labeled as the high point on Ragged Spur in northern Kings Canyon NP.

I don't think this would have caught the attention of most people, but my long time climbing partner, friend and business associate is named Hansen (with an e). I suspected he might want to ascend this peak, who knows, it might even be named after one of his relatives. Some research revealed a little information about the mountain, but it gave up its secrets grudgingly and remained frustratingly obscure right up to our departure for the ascent.

Mt. Hansen is one of the most remote peaks in the Sierra Nevada range, a factor complicating any plan of ascent. It is distant from any trailhead or maintained trail. Check out the Mt. Goddard 7.5 minute map, on which Mt. Hansen is centered. There are no trails shown on the entire map, except for a small segment of the JMT way up in the NE corner.

The most direct route to Mt. Hansen is from the east. Starting at South Lake, this route crosses Bishop Pass and then descends to LeConte Canyon. Following up the JMT to a point below Muir Pass, a rough cross country scramble brings one to the base of Mt. Hansen. This approach has considerable elevation loss and gain, particularly the 3,500 foot slog out over Bishop Pass. Another disadvantage, for me, was the longer drive to the trailhead.

A second alternative is from the north. From Florence Lake it is a straight shot up the South Fork of the San Joaquin and Goddard Canyon over the divide to Goddard Creek and then to the base of Mt. Hansen. Sounds easy, but even with the ferry ride across Florence Lake this is a long trek, as in 50 miles round trip.

Our solution to the approach problem was to come in from the west, specifically from Courtright Reservoir. The distance is really no shorter than from Florence Lake, however from Courtright we could engage the services of a horse packer to take us (and our gear) 20 miles the first day to Pearl Lake - the Mount Hansen Express.

The Approach

Departing Courtright Reservoir the Clyde Pack Outfit delivered us, as promised, to Pearl Lake in one long day. This was supposed to be easier than hiking in under full packs, but as I dismounted after 9 hours in the saddle I wasn't so sure. Fortunately, the joint pain soon subsided under the influence of some rum cocktails. I have to give some credit here to Allan Clyde who runs the best pack station I've seen (and I've seen a few). He uses techniques to keep the impacts of his stock to a minimum.
Pearl LakePearl Lake


Over the White Divide

On day 2 we pack up some supplies and head over the White Divide behind Cathedral Lake.
White DivideThe White Divide
The crossing is more difficult than expected. We descend to Goddard Creek and then up canyon to Lake 10,232, directly beneath Mt. Hansen. Despite the technical difficulty of crossing the Divide I'm amazed we are so deep into the wilderness so quickly.
Crossing the White DivideCrossing the White Divide

Ascent of Mount Hansen

The ascent of Mount Hansen presents no technical difficulties, if you follow the easiest route, which we did not. Ascending a shallow valley immediately east of the Lake 10,232 outlet, the secret is to traverse south up to the ridge at about 11,500 feet. We followed the valley up to 12,000 feet and then traversed north up to a false summit. This then necessitated a traverse of the shattered north ridge to reach the 12,900 foot summit.
North Ridge of Mt. HansenTraverse of the shattered north ridge

The summit register revealed that the peak was named after Hans W. Hansen, born in Benicia in 1898. The question of how this remote and inconsequential summit was named for Mr. Hansen went unanswered.
WG Hansen on Mt. HansenWG Hansen on the summit of Mt. Hansen, Mt. Goddard in the background

The ascent of Mount Hansen is not likely to have much appeal for the average peak bagger unless your last name happens to be Hansen. In fact, so many descendents of Hans W. Hansen have ascended this peak that about half the summit register entries are of people named Hansen. The irony is, whichever approach you take, you have to pass by many fine peaks which would be more worthy ascents. This brings up the question, why was this relatively insignificant peak selected to be named Mt. Hansen when there are other, more impressive, unnamed peaks all around. If anybody knows the answer - contact me.


Unnamed PeakUnnamed peak on the White Divide, west of Mt. Hansen

Our return trip to Wishon Reservoir was uneventful except for smoke from the Tehipte fire. At times the smoke was so thick it was like heavy fog.
Tehipte Fire SmokeSmoke from the Tehipte Fire (hasn't blown our way yet)

Epilogue

Our trip to Mount Hansen was a logistical success, the scenery outstanding and our camp sites five star. This area of the Sierra range is lightly visited. The lake basin immediately north of Blue Canyon Peak is not only beautiful but absolutely pristine. Don't look for any technical climbing challenges on the ascent of Mt. Hansen, though. Ironically, by missing the easiest way up we made the ascent much more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Perhaps our route should now be known as the Hansen variation on Mt.Hansen.
Ragged SpurThe Ragged Spur doesn't look so ragged


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
boyblue

boyblue - Dec 22, 2011 7:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting Area

I enjoyed your report. Many years ago I hiked down Goddard Creek to Simpson Meadow. I don't think this peak was shown as officially named on any of my maps from the time- this was in 1979. I frequently wish that I'd taken a day or so to explore the crest of the Ragged Spur- certainly one of the loneliest regions in the High Sierra.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1