Mount Magazine-Signal Hill Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Aug 19, 2004 9:52 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Alan -

You may be thinking of the "Classic Rock Climbs #22 (Sam's Throne Area,) by Clay Frisbee. I have one of those coveted copies, which have been out of print for over 5 years now.



Kerry Allen simply prints up copies whenever the local shops ask him to. I can probably get one for you (no finders fee :) )



A.W.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 3, 2005 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Don't sweat it, I will be there in mid-May and take some photos.

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Apr 3, 2005 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Cool, look me up if you want to do some climbing.



A.W.

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Aug 18, 2004 12:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The tallest route at Mt. Magazine is 90 ft. (Right to Flight - 5.9) It should be noted that climbing is not allowed on the north face, due to poor rock quality and indigenous species. Also, the "Climber's Guide to Mt. Magazine" by Kerry Allen is available at most of the local outfitters. ($10)

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Aug 19, 2004 9:52 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Alan -

You may be thinking of the "Classic Rock Climbs #22 (Sam's Throne Area,) by Clay Frisbee. I have one of those coveted copies, which have been out of print for over 5 years now.



Kerry Allen simply prints up copies whenever the local shops ask him to. I can probably get one for you (no finders fee :) )



A.W.

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Apr 3, 2005 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

What was once the beautiful south-looking scenic overlook has been bulldozed, blasted, and reformed for the construction of the "New Lodge." This 60 room hotel will feature a restaurant, pool, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure it will be way better than the historic lodge site that once formed this overlook. Who needs natural beauty when you can build a hotel instead? They have built it right on top of the old climbing trail. Currently this entire area is fenced off. You can no longer park next to the lodge site and walk down, you have to park at one of the hang-glider launch pads and walk about 1/4 mile around the fence, or bushwack in front of it. What was once the "Waterfall Walkdown" is now a pile of rubble, filled with trash from the construction workers' lunches. Look for this wonderful new addition to open up Spring 2006. The cost? As of yet undisclosed...

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Apr 3, 2005 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The directions are not quite that straightforward for anyone who has not been to Mt. Magazine before.



From Fayetteville, take I-540 South to I-40. Take Exit 35 toward the town of Ozark on 23 south. You will see the recently installed brown State Park signs.



Turn left at the first stoplight in Ozark and continue on 23. At the second stoplight, turn right and go across the bridge (Arkansas River).



Shortly after you reach the other side of the river, you will go around a few curves. As you come to the crest of a hill just before a straight section, look for Hwy 309 on your left.



Stay on 309 through the town of Paris. As the road splits, stay left to go up the hill. (note: look at the street sign just before the road split, on the left -- "klan" street... Interesting.)



Follow this road into the park, where signs will direct you to the different areas.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 3, 2005 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Don't sweat it, I will be there in mid-May and take some photos.

cagedalpinist

cagedalpinist - Apr 3, 2005 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Cool, look me up if you want to do some climbing.



A.W.

osatrik

osatrik - Jul 11, 2009 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Magazine Mountain - NOT Mount Magazine

A check of the official geographic names index (GNIS) of the USGS reveals that the name of this feature is "Magazine Mountain", not "Mount Magazine". Although not a hard and fast rule, generally "Mount Xxxxx" is used for a peak, and "Xxxx Mountain" is more frequently used for ridges, which better describes this feature. Magazine Mountian appears in the GNIS as a ridge, and Signal Hill as a summit. "Mount Magazine" is the name used by the Arkansas State Park, but it not the officially accepted name. All four of the guidebooks published to date on state highpoints have used the correct nomenclature, and I believe entries in Summitpost.org should do the same.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Mount Magazine-Signal Hill' main page