Mount Withington Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Dundeel

Dundeel - Oct 8, 2023 12:05 pm Date Climbed: Sep 29, 2023

Late evening visit  Sucess!

Came in from the north driving through the VLA. It looked cool with the line of antennas disappearing to the west. Google does try to route you up an abandoned NF road so generally stay on the good road. No one on duty at the tower.

grillkevin - Jun 14, 2020 8:41 am Date Climbed: Jun 13, 2020

Monica Canyon, Peak 9965, and Withington   Sucess!

We were going to take the road to a saddle between Peak 9965 and Withington, but made the mistake of listening to Google. It put us on a road that disappeared. Turns out the mistake was a benefit to us. We started just past the campgrounds in a Monica Canyon. Hiked along the Monica Trail for a time, then up a wash (should have taken the game trail up a ridge), and finally found our way to the north side of the ridge leading to Peak 9965. Lots of small aspens with a few prickly gooseberries, but no thorny locusts. After Peak 9965, it was an easy downhill and then we took the lazy way (road hike) to Withington.

Road condition to Withington: my AWD RAV4 made it up and on to Peak 10,000 without problems. There were a few low clearance scrapes but they should be cleared out for you now!

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - May 9, 2020 6:20 pm Date Climbed: May 9, 2020

from mile marker 18  Sucess!

I parked at about the 8500 foot elevation line. Two hours to the top on a sunny day. Rain showers were definitely moving in as I drove out. The road after the saddle is NOT advisable for passenger cars at this time.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm Date Climbed: Apr 17, 2016

9 Peaks  Sucess!

With Withington Wilderness HP, 10020, 9965, 9390, Cedro Peak, Gray Hill, Granite Mountain & Silver Hill.

surgent

surgent - Oct 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Bad luck twice now  Sucess!

Twice we've come this way and twice have been slammed by storms. Did manage to drive the truck to the top... not really any hiking, but a fun drive. Planned to hike it on our second visit met with double whammy: storms, and an on-going closure due to fire danger. We'll be back. The VLA nearby is a neat place to visit.

weeds19

weeds19 - Oct 10, 2006 9:25 pm Date Climbed: Oct 5, 2006

Long dirt road  Sucess!

I coaxed my Camry all the way to the top

streeyyr

streeyyr - May 10, 2006 9:32 pm Date Climbed: May 8, 2006

Mount Withington  Sucess!

A high mountain rising above southwest New Mexico.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Mount Withington' main page